22

Later that night, I'm woken up earlier than usual by my phone ringing. I check the time before answering it, it's only 4:39am.

"Hello?" I say with a yawn.

"Elle.." Regina sniffles which immediately makes me feel wide awake. "I'm scared.."

As soon as she mutters those words, I am out of bed and walking downstairs. "What's wrong, baby?" I grab my keys and walk out to my car.

"I.." She begins crying, unable to get her words out.

"I'm coming, Regina, don't worry." I start up my car and begin driving toward Regina's house. I stay on the phone with her the whole way there, even if she doesn't talk.

"Regina, I'm outside. Can you come downstairs and let me in?" I ask softly.

Regina mumbles an "mhm" before she hangs up the phone. I stand by the front door, waiting for it to open.

Once Regina opens the door, my arms are around her and she's crying against my chest. I pull her inside and up to her bedroom. "What's wrong, baby?"

"You're going to think I'm pathetic.." She mutters. I sit on the edge of her bed as I watch her stand in front of me.

"No I won't, what's going on?"

She sits on my lap and frowns. "I had a nightmare.." She whispers. I frown too and caress her cheek with my thumb. "Shane Oman was on top of me.. I told him to get off but he wouldn't listen.."

My heart breaks a little. "Regina.." I sigh. "That wasn't a nightmare.. You were drunk at the party and Shane tried to take advantage of that.." Regina's eyes fill with tears once more. "I'm sorry, baby."

She just shakes her head and wipes her eyes. "I'm sorry for making you drive so far, it's so late."

"I'll drive five thousand miles for you, Regina. I don't care how late or how early it is. You are my number one priority, you come first."

My words make her smile a bit but also make tears fall. I pull her into my chest and just comfort her. "I got you, my love."

___

The next morning comes very slowly. I stayed awake the rest of the night just to keep an eye on Regina as she slept.

Around seven is when she woke up with a huge hangover. I gave her some medicine and instructed her to just go back to sleep. I put a trash can next to her bed before I left to go back home.

It's now noon and I haven't heard from Regina since then. She's most likely asleep still, so I don't worry too much.

"I heard about what happened at the party." Cady says as she walks into my room. I close my book and sit up in bed as she walks over and sits beside me. "Shane tried lying to everyone and said that she came onto him.. Janis told everyone the truth."

"He's a fucking loser." I mutter.

"He is." Cady nudges me in the stomach with a grin but I wince in pain which makes her smile drop. "Elle?"

"Don't." I say.

Cady lifts up my shirt, even though I try to stop her, and she gasps when she sees the giant bruise across my ribs. "Did Shane do this?"

"It's nothing."

"I'm telling mom-"

"No! She doesn't know I went to that party last night and she will kill me if she finds out I went with Regina."

"What are you talking about? I thought mom loved Regina?" She says with a raised eyebrow.

"She used to.. until we got caught on private property and skipped school together.." I mumble.

Cady huffs. "I won't tell her about the party.. but you should go to a doctor."

"I'm fine, Cady."

"Fine, then I'm going to have a talk with Shane Oman."

Before I have the chance to protest, Cady grabs my car keys and exits my room. I roll my eyes and groan.

"Elle!" My mom shouts from downstairs.

"Yeah!" I shout back.

"Regina is here!"

I grin and leap out of bed, forgetting all about the pain in my ribs, and I run down the steps.

Regina smiles and engulfs me in her arms when she notices how happy I am to see her. She has sunglasses over her eyes, probably due to her hangover.

"What are you doing here?" I say after I gently peck her lips.

"I wanted to see if you wanted to head out today? Gretchen invited all of us over to go swimming at her place if you want to join?" She asks as she squeezes my shoulder.

I look over at my mom, she sighs then nods. I grin and pull Regina upstairs so I can pick out a bathing suit.

I lay out two swim suits on the bed and look at them with a twisted frown.

"Elle, I'm not trying to be rude but these are-"

"Ugly as hell." I finish her sentence before I begin laughing. "Who let me wear these?"

Regina giggles and takes my hand, "Come on, we can stop at my house and I'll give you one of mine to wear before we go to Gretchen's."