Chapter 17

This story contains topics such as talks of SA that may be sensitive or triggering to readers. Readers' discretion is advised. The scene will be marked with a ⚠️ and @ to indicate readers.

Family can be a complex web woven with love, loyalty, and frustration. There are moments of warmth and connection where bonds strengthen-and memories are cherished. Yet, intertwined with these moments are instances of disagreement where tension and patience run thin. A delicate balance between irritation and affection, where one moment they are filled with love and the next separated by differences. A relationship that is shaped by experiences. Kanan understood that families can be different, as that's how it was with human relationships. Each had their unique dynamics and challenges. While some may be close and in harmony, others struggle with conflicts.

In the confines of the hospital lobby, time appeared to stand still; the fluorescent lights cast a cold glow over the room. They sat on uncomfortable plastic chairs, their face etched with discomfort. The air was heavy, and no one spoke a word. A clicking of designer heels against the tiled floor drew everyone's attention. She exuded an aura of privilege, her disdainful gaze cutting through the sea of faces with precision on her target, Nathaniel. Her heavy makeup accentuated the sharp line of her features, while her short chestnut hair was in a bob cut. In one hand, she clutched a leather purse. As she approached Nathaniel, Kanan could see the trouble on the horizon.

Her expression hardened, "You son of a b*tch," She let out. There was no denying the venom in her voice as she delivered her cutting remark.

Despite the clinical surroundings, her presence filled the air with unease, casting a shadow over the corridors. "How dare you put your hands on my husband!?" She said. "I'll make sure you end up in prison if it's the last thing I do,"

Nathaniel scoffed. It was unfortunate, but this encounter offered Kanan a glimpse into Emily's life. Her parents, far from respectable, exuded an insufferable arrogance. They behaved as though they were entitled to treat others however they pleased, yet couldn't bear with the same treatment themselves.

"Make sure you book a cell for your husband," Nathaniel retorted. "He's the only criminal here," There was a new-found resolve in Nathaniel's demeanor, a sense that he no longer cared about the consequences and was determined to speak his mind.

"How long are you going to keep this up?" She ran her fingers through her hair in frustration. "My husband didn't do anything wrong. That lying, whoring b*tch seduced him for some pocket change." She huffed, clutching her designer purse tightly. "He's innocent. INNOCENT. That's why that wh*re ran away."

The situation left Kanan puzzled. There was a third party involved that held the key to the ongoing conflict. Nathaniel abruptly stood from his seat, his eyes finally confronting hers, anger rising inside him, his patience wearing thin. "I dare you to say that again," Nathaniel challenged, his voice laced with fury.

"What are you going to do!?" She shouted, voice filled with contempt as she looked him up and down. "Are you going to hit me too? Go on, act like the low-life scum you are." She jabbed her finger into Nathaniel's chest, taunting him further. "This is why nobody likes you."

Kanan held tightly onto Nathaniel's hand, feeling the tension radiating from him. The scene attracted onlookers, and Kanan knew it wouldn't be wise for Nathaniel to get into another fight. Despite his rising anger, he understood Nathaniel's frustration. Her vulgar speech grated Kanan's nerves, especially from someone who carried herself in false elegance. Her words couldn't be any more false, Kanan thought. Even if Nathaniel's family harbored resentment towards him, Kanan knew Nathaniel was loved deeply by him and Emily. Amid their family turmoil, Nathaniel was not without love.