Chapter 3

Kanan noticed his furrowed brows, the downturn lips, and the distant look in his eyes. He hesitated, searching for the right words to break through the invisible barrier. It was clear that this meeting would be different from what he had expected.

"I'm sorry for being late. I got caught in traffic on the way here." Kanan's first train of thought was his tardiness ruined Nathaniel's mood. He knew some people were sensitive about being on time and apologized.

"It's okay. I know how the traffic gets around here." Nathaniel said, trying to hide his distress that hadn't gone unnoticed. "Feel free to order whatever you like." He slid the menu next to his coffee across the table to Kanan.

Still uneasy by the situation, he decided not to ponder too much. His goal was to repay Nathaniel and head home. The menu was a carefully crafted work of art lettered with the cafe's logo. The design was clean and elegant, with green and gold borders in fancy designs. Royal Brew Café was visually pleasing, which made Kanan have high expectations for the taste. Failing to meet their established standards would be a tremendous letdown. As he looked at the menu, the items were overpriced. There were some that he'd never heard of, even though he wasn't a regular patron of cafes. Lavender-infused Earl Grey latte and Rasberry Truffle Cappuccino, Cardamon Rose Chai Latte, to list a few that he had never heard of and piqued his interest. Another thing that caught Kanan's interest was Nathaniel's voice. His low, smooth tone held an undeniable charm and captivated him even in his drunken state.

Kanan took the simple route and ordered a latte despite his keen interest in the menu items. If he had the chance to visit Royal Brew Café again, he'd indulge in the world it offered. Kanan looked over at Nathaniel, who patiently waited for him. He was in a light grey vest and a crisp white dress shirt paired with a neatly knotted black tie, and his sleeves rolled up. An air of elegance surrounded him, a perfect balance of confidence, professionalism, and charm. With striking features, a chiseled jawline, and dark brown eyes that captured attention effortlessly, it was impossible not to appreciate his undeniable physical appeal. There was an herbal scent that didn't go unnoticed; hints of citrus and mint emitted from him.

"About the repayment," Kanan spoke, breaking the silence. "What is it that you'd like?"

"Would you care to accompany me somewhere?"

Kanan wanted to ask if he was okay. Enduring his upset mood was quite uncomfortable despite his efforts to ignore it. "Are you doing okay? The last thing you want is for a stranger to pry into your business, but honestly, it's hard to ignore how upset you are." He went for it regardless of the outcome.

Nathaniel sighed. "I apologize if I made you uncomfortable. I can't promise that my mood will improve by the end of this discussion; so much for a first impression. I just had a bad thing happen before you arrived that pissed me off." His anger was present. "I'll try my best to hide it."

"I'm not the best person to talk about first impressions," Kanan chuckled, recalling his behavior. "Whatever it is, I hope it doesn't ruin the rest of your day. Now, where would you like me to accompany you?"

"A birthday party," He replied.

"Kanan tried to hide his shock by drinking his latte. "A birthday party?"

"Yes, a birthday party."

"I mean, I don't mind, but I didn't think repaying a tub of ice cream would mean attending a birthday party."

"I understand if you don't want to."

"I'll go." Kanan had celebrated numerous birthdays, but never before for someone he barely knew. He decided to take Nathaniel up on his offer for multiple reasons. Partially, he felt indebted to Nathaniel for his help, but importantly, to honor the oath to himself, promising to embrace a more adventurous and open approach to life. "Every day is a new opportunity to go on adventures, explore the unknown, and create memories. That's how I've decided to live my life."