Chapter 11

These days, Kanan's journey often leads to two destinations: Nathaniel's house and The View. Today, he was more nervous than usual as he was en route to Nathaniel's house for their planned dinner and baking lessons. Perhaps it was the aftermath of Nathaniel's gesture. He dubbed them Happiness rings, not traditional promise rings but Happiness. Kanan found his actions cute. As he admired the ring adorning his fingers, he couldn't help but wonder if Nathaniel harbored romantic feelings for him. Yet, Kanan resisted the urge to overanalyze choosing, instead savoring the moment and letting things unfold naturally. Deep down, he knew something shifted in him after that night. Despite the simplicity of the rings, their impact was significant. He didn't need to remove it; its presence was a reminder of Nathaniel's thoughtfulness.

As Kanan neared Nathaniel's house, the familiar sight never failed to leave him in awe. Parking and making his way to the front door, he was greeted by Nathaniel, who swung the door open with a warm smile. "Just on time," He greeted Kanan warmly.

Kanan chuckled, noticing Nathaniel's anticipation. "Were you waiting by the door all this time?" He teased.

"Maybe," Nathaniel smiled.

Upon entering the house, Kanan's gaze naturally drifted toward the kitchen, the heart of their culinary adventures for the day. "What's on the menu for today?" He inquired.

"I hope you don't mind seafood," Nathaniel replied with a grin. "We're having Shrimp Scampi-the best you'll ever taste." He boasted confidently. "And for dessert?"

"Some simple chocolate chip cookies," Kanan responded. "Not the burnt kind," He added playfully.

"Anything but burnt cookies," Nathaniel laughed.

Without delay, they made their way to the kitchen. Nathaniel suggested starting with the cookies, and Kanan readily agreed. Nathaniel offered Kanan an apron and selected one for himself. Gathering the ingredients he purchased based on Kanan's careful instructions, Nathaniel arranged them neatly on the countertop. Kanan, taking on the role of a mentor, encouraged Nathaniel to take the lead in the baking process while he provided guidance and assistance. With patience, Kanan instructed Nathaniel to measure the ingredients. As they stood side by side in the kitchen, Nathaniel couldn't resist the urge to flick a bit of flour toward Kanan, inducing laughter from them both. With a mischievous twinkle in his eyes, Kanan wiped some flour on Nathaniel's cheeks in return. Their playful antics added excitement to the moment. They measured the ingredients and mixed the dough, with occasional bumps, and hands brushed against each other, making Kanan feel conscious of Nathaniel.

Kanan watched as Nathaniel worked the cookie dough while occasionally glancing at him. "You're doing great," Kanan made sure to compliment him.

With the dough prepared and shaped into almost perfect rounds, Kanan, who had initially taken the initiative to preheat the oven, arranged the cookie trays, ensuring even spacing. Nathaniel watched with admiration as Kanan set the timer and trays in the oven. As if he felt a sudden surge of affection towards Kanan, caught up in the moment, he blurted out, "I like you."

The words hung in the air, a declaration of affection that took surprise. Kanan eyes widen in surprise. He turned to face Nathaniel, his heart racing with excitement and uncertainty. He didn't know how to respond, and all that left his lips was, "The cookies will be ready in 12-15 minutes,"

~~

Silence enveloped them. Kanan, ensuring the cookies had finished and left them to cool, had retreated to the backyard. Nathaniel's impulsive confession lingered in the air, leaving a tension between them. Awareness dawned on him only after the words left his lips. He understood Kanan's reaction; it was a lot to process. Nathaniel could try and dismiss his words-saying he meant as friends betraying his genuine emotions. Despite his inner turmoil, Nathaniel continued with dinner preparations, though his mood covered his initial enthusiasm.