Chapter 9

The day to hit the beach arrived, and excitement bubbled. Kanan was the driver for the long-awaited beach day. He made it his duty to let Nathaniel take the passenger seat for a change. It had been ages since Kanan last embraced the sun-soaked shores. Childhood memories flooded back, recalling the weekends when his parents ushered them to the beach, a ritual ingrained in the younger years of his life.

The air charged with anticipation as he picked up Nathaniel and Emily; the beach-enthusiastic came well prepared. A playlist that spanned nostalgic tunes and modern hits for the day ahead, nested in the backseat was an array of beach essentials- oversized hats and colorful beach towels, sunscreen, sunglasses, and a good beach read courtesy of Emily, with a small picnic basket packed with snacks and sandwiches. In the trunk was a mini cooler brimming with refreshing drinks, beach umbrellas, and, lastly, a beach volleyball to ensure the day had a playful activity. Her meticulous planning through days of waiting-It was evidence of Emily's anticipation and excitement. She released a contagious air of joy that they couldn't escape.

As the coastal breeze beckoned, the car rolled closer to the ocean. The sound of crashing waves welcomed them. Emily was the first one out, kicking her sandals off and setting foot on the warm sand. The grains of sand beneath Kanan's feet conjured countless memories. Recalling the past, he remembered the days of crafting less-than-perfect sand castles with Kaelan. Together, they attempted to conquer the waves, only to flee when the waves crashed onto the shore. In the sand, seashells were a precious treasure waiting for discovery, sparking a friendly competition to find the perfect one between them.

"The trip seems to mean a lot to her," Kanan pointed out, watching Emily walk along the shore, her arms freely in the air. The sight, coupled with the memories from back then, sparked a longing for the familiar presence of Kaelan, annoying as he may be. The date of his visit remained undisclosed, carrying a layer of curiosity and a tiny frustration as Kanan wanted to prepare. The element of surprise was Kaelan-like.

"She hasn't had fun like this in a while," Nathaniel replied.

The first thing on the agenda was finding the perfect spot. They wandered along the shoreline, surveying for that sweet spot. With a decision made, they unfolded their beach towels. A sprouted beach umbrella cast a shadow on the sand. The cooler and picnic basket was within arm's reach. It was a beach picnic in the making. Emily donned her straw hat and quickly applied sunscreen before running off.

"When was the last time you came to the beach?" Kanan asked. He casually removed his shirt, remaining in his beach shorts. With a carefree demeanor, he applied sunscreen for the sun-drenched day ahead. "I haven't been since maybe 6th grade. My parents used to bring me and Kaelan almost every weekend."

"It hasn't been that long for me," Nathaniel replied. "Let me help you," Kanan struggled with self-application, twisting and turning his arms, frustration playing across his face. "Is Kaelan your brother?" Kanan nodded. "What is he like?" Initially, Kanan thought that sharing family memories might cause unintentional discomfort. Seeing Nathaniel probed further showed he didn't mind the family talks. Nathaniel applied a generous amount of sunscreen in his hands. As his fingers traced along Kanan's skin, a shiver danced down his spine. The gentle touch left him momentarily captivated by the simple act.

"He's clingy, annoying, and has a bad temper," Kanan told him. "But he's the most caring and loyal to those he loves. Growing up, he would always want to do everything I did."

"My brothers and I were close growing up. At one point, we grew apart- now all that remains is hate. My younger brother moved away somewhere. I haven't heard from him since." Nathaniel said. Kanan didn't expect him to talk about his brother, let alone that he had another sibling. "Can you do mine?"