Chapter 1

It's on particular nights like these when the feeling of grief overwhelms Kanan Davenport; like a cup flowing over, he feels the urge to drink. The sun had dipped below the horizon. Warm hues of red and orange filled the evening sky, creating a breathtaking view that drew Kanan to his window to take in its sight. Amidst the transition of day and night, when the world seems to pause, Kanan starts to think about life once more. He threw on a black hoodie, a white t-shirt underneath, peeking through the bottom of his hoodie, and black sweatpants with white shoes thirty minutes after taking in the sunset. It was a spur-of-the-moment decision to visit the local small bar that was only a five-minute walk from his apartment. The chilly night air greeted him, brushing his cheeks and hands that he dipped in the pockets of his hoodie. His phone, keys, and some cash he had lying around occupied the pockets of his sweatpants.

Kanan rarely indulges in alcohol. His tolerance was practically nonexistent. He made a grand discovery in college that he had what his friend had described as the cutest drinking habit. It wasn't that he didn't appreciate a well-crafted drink; he disliked how it affected him. His first encounter with alcohol was when he was twelve years old. Kanan had wondered what the strong aroma hints of vanilla that would fill the air when his father had a drink tasted like. He was curious and thought he would be cool if he consumed the liquid. Kanan took the tall bottle of white rum his father stashed in the cupboards. He poured some over the soda he bought home from school that day. His first mistake was going for his father's favorite rum. Pouring out too generously was his second mistake, resulting in the scent filling the room. Frightened, he hurriedly put it back before anyone could notice. He twirled the bottle to combine the two liquids. Kanan went in for a taste. The warm liquid hit the back of his throat, leaving a noticeable heat. It was a miracle that he didn't get caught.

Kanan scrunched his face at the intense flavors. He discarded the remaining liquid in the kitchen sink. His habits that presented themselves in college further fueled his avoidance of alcohol. Kanan was willing to bypass his past commitments and have a drink or two that night. He swore that he would go for something mild to provide a sense of relaxation. Alcohol was not something Kanan kept at home. He craved a breath of fresh air and a stroll, and with a bar nearby, it was the perfect opportunity.

With heavy steps, he passed by faces from all walks of life, each with their destination, purpose, and dreams. An ache in his heart accompanied him. His emotions were a mixture of sadness and appreciation. The night was calm, the lights bathing the pavements with their glow. Finally, he came to his destination. Brews and Views was its name. The view was nothing to compliment, but he liked the name either way. It was his first time at Brews and Views. Feeling slightly anxious, he entered the bar.

The interior of the small bar was cozy and dimly lit. To his right was a polished mahogany bar top, worn-out black leather barstools scattered around it, seats lined a wall-mounted bar table with a window to his left, and tables at the back. The wall had vintage beer ads and wooden wall art. "Group Therapy." "Enjoy cold and fresh beer" and "No work during drinking hours." just to name a few. The bar had a limited number of patrons. Kanan took a seat at the bar top.

"What can I get you tonight?" The bartender asked with a friendly smile. Leana, her name tag read, had short, brown, curly hair tied in a messy bun. Her cheeks were peppered with freckles, adding a touch of charm to her appearance. She wore a forest green top, black jeans, and an apron to complete her look.

Kanan's knowledge of the extensive drink menu was limited. He was familiar with classic options like gin and tonic, martini, margarita, and drinks served on the rocks. Granted, he only knew them in name. "I'm looking to try something that's not too strong. Could you recommend me a drink that you think is good? Something to help me relax. I don't know much about drinks."