79. Fight For Life

"Ava, what the hell did you do?"

Seb glanced again at the body on the floor, gasping as he recognised the man laid in a pool of his own blood.  Joel. 

Ava wrenched her hand out of his grasp and took a few steps backwards, still brandishing the knife.

"I didn't mean it Seb.  I just wanted to scare Jessie, then he was there and he tried to grab me and then..."

Jessie.  Oh fuck.  Where was Jessie? If Ava had hurt her or the baby he would squeeze the life out of her with his own bare hands.

Casting his eyes further down the pathway, his heart almost stopped beating as he saw the second body on the floor. Jessie! What had Ava done to her? He couldn't see any signs of blood, but she wasn't moving.

He made to go to her but Ava stepped to block his way, holding the blood covered knife up.

"Don't move!"

Seb took a deep breath. He had to control the panic that was bubbling up inside him. If he let it control him he'd be no good to Jessie, or to Joel. Was his ex best friend even still alive? Was Jessie?

"Ava, let me go check on them. They need medical attention. Let me call an ambulance."

"No! You'll call the police. I can't go to prison. No, you check on Joel."

Seb held his hands up in a sign of submission. He had to keep Ava calm. If he didn't she might flip and attack him. He was pretty sure he could disarm her but he wasn't one hundred percent sure he could do so without one of them, if not both of them, getting seriously hurt.

He walked slowly over to Joel and crouched down. He picked his wrist up and felt for a pulse. It was there. He breathed a sigh of relief.

Ava had begun to pace up and down now, obviously extremely agitated.

"He's alive," Seb said. "But if you don't let me call for help he won't be for much longer and then you'll be up on a murder charge."

"This is her fault! I should have cut the bitch's throat while I had the chance."

Seb felt nauseous at the thought of Jessie laid bleeding out, her life slipping away as well as the life of their baby.

Joel gave a loud groan as Seb moved him to inspect his wound.

"It's ok Joel," he said, even though he had no idea if he could hear him or not. "Hang on in there you bastard. You can't die. How can I hold a grudge if you're six feet under?"

He tore Joel's Williams team shirt open and located the stab wound, which was just to the right of his navel.

"Seb, is Jessie ok?" Seb looked up at Joel's face and saw his eyes had opened.

"I don't know," Seb admitted. Tearing a large piece of Joel's shirt up, he folded it up and put it over the wound. "Here, hold this. Press down hard."

He then turned and looked
at Ava. "I need to check on Jessie," he said.

"No," she exclaimed, waving the knife at him.