29. Going Public

Seb cut the engine on their rental Alfa Romeo and glanced around the car park at all the sports cars parked up there.   All the drivers had already arrived at the circuit, ready to fulfill their media duties.

What would they all think to him returning? He knew that Lewis would be happy, he couldn't wait to see his old friend and rival. Daniel would be happy too, because Daniel was always happy.

Charles had been told the news the previous night. Seb was yet to see him as he and Jessie had only arrived just before midnight due to a delayed flight, but the Monagasque had texted him saying how happy he was that they would be teammates again.

He knew that not everyone would be overly happy to see him return, particularly the young drivers who were waiting to make the step up to Formula 1. He just hoped he could repay the faith Ferrari were showing in him.

Carlos Sainz had already made his own announcement over the summer break.  He'd been signed by Aston Martin to replace Lance Stroll, who had decided to take some time out to decide what he really wanted to do with his life after he'd admitted he'd lost his passion for Formula 1.

Seb took a deep breath, knowing that as soon as he and Jessie got out of the car the chances were the paparazzi would pounce on them. 

He knew questions would be asked, questions about whether he was the driver replacing Carlos at Ferrari.  His name had already been mentioned as a possibility by several sources. His appearance at a Grand Prix for the first time since his retirement would only add fuel to the fire.

"Are you ok?" Jessie asked him gently.  She knew that he was nervous.   He'd been acting strangely for a few days now, not talking much, not eating properly .  He'd not slept much either.  She'd felt him tossing and turning throughout the night.

"I'm just feeling a little anxious," he admitted. "Not everyone will agree with Ferrari re-signing me."

"Well they can fuck off," Jessie growled. Seb reached out and took her hand. He smiled at her. She had always been his biggest supporter. "If I hear anyone say anything negative I'll give them what for!"

"You'll behave kleine maus," he murmured, although he was secretly touched by how defensive Jessie was of him. "I will let my driving do the talking."

"They won't know what to gossip about more will they? You going back, or the fact that we're together."

"I'm sure there will be plenty of gossip about both things," he told her. "I'm worried about you. People can be cruel."

"I can't say I'm not worried, I am, but we can't live our lives in the shadows can we? I'm proud to be your girlfriend. People will get over it. We just have to weather the storm."

"I guess we should head in," he told her. "I'm hoping that most of the paparazzi have disappeared now all the drivers are in."

He was just about to open his door when a purple McLaren sped into the car park and drove straight into the free parking space next to them. It seemed that he'd been wrong about all the drivers being there already.

He grinned and got out of the car, ready to greet the driver of the McLaren.

"Well, well, well. Look what the cat dragged in. Seb Vettel, you old dog. How the hell are you?"

Seb found himself pulled into a bear hug. Some things never changed, and Daniel Ricciardo was one of them.

"I couldn't be better Daniel.  How are you?" he asked, returning the curly haired Australian's hug. 

"All the better for seeing you mate! Oh my God, is that...? Jessie Newbury! Aren't you a sight for sore eyes!"

Seb found himself released from Daniel's embrace as the Australian made a beeline for Jessie, who had just got out of the car.  He lifted her off of her feet and span her around.