54. A Birthday And A Bombshell

After Seb's breakdown in Qatar things went back to normal, well as normal as things could be without Jessie there by his side

He'd had an amazing weekend in Austin, taking pole and the fastest lap as well as the race victory.    It wasn't quite a Grand Chelem as he'd only led fifty out of the fifty six laps, but it had been pretty damn close.  The highlight of the weekend though was the congratulations text he'd had from Jessie.    She still wasn't answering his daily texts or accepting his calls but it was good that she was watching his races, right?

He was in regular contact with her parents and knew that she'd now taken the first steps to getting better by seeing a doctor and being referred to a counsellor.    He felt a little better knowing she was getting help, although he was still struggling being apart from her. 

After confiding in Valentino about his and Jessie's separation he'd decided to tell Britta and Martha the truth too.   He knew Martha had been suspecting something wasn't right.   He'd told her that Jessie's mum was sick and she was staying there to look after her, but Martha wasn't stupid.

Both Britta and Martha had been amazing since he'd finally told them when they'd arrived in Austin and he felt like a huge weight had been lifted off of his shoulders.   He wasn't going to tell anyone else though.  They didn't need to know. Jessie was going to come back.   She was,because he didn't know what he do if he had to spend the rest of his life without her. 

***

"Well done Seb! Great race! If you hadn't buggered your knee up you'd have been right up there with our boys!"

Seb turned and smiled as he saw Adrian Newey settling into the seat behind him.

"Thanks Adrian, it wasn't bad was it?" He'd started sixth on the grid and fought his way to a podium finish in Mexico. He'd been just two seconds behind Max at the finish.

"Travelling alone?" Adrian asked.

"Yeah, Martha and Britta are playing tourist. They're going to Chichén Itzá tomorrow, then they'll fly to Brazil on Wednesday. Charles already flew last night."