16

The Light

The Haldi ceremony proceeded with no trouble.

When I first saw her walk in the room, I couldn't take my eyes off of her, she didn't look like her usual self, she looked like a princess.

She kept her eyes low, her expression neutral, she was as happy with all this as I was. But this marriage was important, it was a small part in a big plan.

She didn't know it yet, but when she will, she will thank me.

Every one put haldi (turmeric) on her, same with me. After the ceremony ended, we both departed to our bathing quarters, neither one of us wanted the colour of the turmeric to glisten on our skins, no turmeric was strong enough to keep the evil away or purify our souls, we had done too much harm.

The day ended quite peacefully, she didn't enter my room, or my quarters screaming with some complaint, she didn't show up in court, she didn't mingle with the ministers and try to find out which one was corrupt.

A smile appeared on my face. I didn't realise I was thinking about her.

I shook  my head in an attempt to shake away her thoughts when I heard a knock on my door, my heart started beating faster, could it be?

I put that thought in the farthest corner of my brain, I stood up and opened the door, to my discontent, it wasn't her.

"Yes? Adwith" I asked, opening the door wider for my brother to step in, "I thought maybe you would want someone with you" he responded, "No I don't need anyone" I rolled my eyes.

"You think I don't know? How much you are going through?" he argued, "You think I don't know? Marrying her on the same day you married Bhabhi ma, I know you bhaiya and I also know it is eating you from the inside" he gritted his teeth.

A lopsided grin appeared on my face; he was my brother after all.

"Its late, Adwith. You should go and sleep" I answered, he shook his head, "Servant!" he shouted, "Get us two bottles of the finest alcohol" he ordered, "Brother, I am trying not to drink" I tell him, "Just this once, bhaiya, you haven't had a shot with me, since I came back" he smiled, "Mera Adwith itna bada ho gaya, jo apne bade bhai ke saath piyega, waah!" I smile back.

(My Adwith has grown so big, that now he is going to drink with his big brother, wow!)

We both drank the night away, he talked about his adventures, that he had experienced and I smiled throughout the conversation.

Adwith was a prince, but he felt more joy in experiencing the world and I never stopped him from doing something he wanted but just so he brought in something to the kingdom, he travelled to different small kingdoms and created political and trade bonds with them, while enjoying that place.

I was proud of him.

He slept in my bed, while I couldn't catch any sleep. His words were ringing in my head, he had made me remember that one tiny detail I had been dying to forget.

The next day was the Mehendi (henna) ceremony, the woman of the house, all were singing, they all looked happy. And then when I saw her, I felt like the worst person ever.

She was sitting there, in the middle of the gathering and she was sad. Her eyes were directed downwards, both her hands on her lap, two woman making designs on them.

Her legs half bare, they were also being decorated with henna.

But she was sad, so nobody's smile affected me.

While I was leaving to a meeting with the ministers, two women came in my way, "Apologies your highness, but its tradition for the groom to wear henna too" they both bowed, "uh? Yes...yes" I nodded and sat down on a chair, they both worked on the inside of my hands.

"Naam kyaa likhe Maharaj?" One of them asked.

(What name should we write, Maharaj?)

"Khaali chod dijiye" I answered.

(Leave it blank)

I stood up and I could feel a pair of eyes looking right at me but without looking towards it I left for the meeting.

I heard a knock on the door of my study, it was after dinner, I opened it up to see her standing there.

She walked inside and splayed her hands in front of me, "Look at this" she said, I looked at her hands covered in henna, I cocked an eyebrow, clearly confused.

"They wrote your name on my hands" she said, her tone resigned.

"Why are you doing this to your people, Ranvijay?" she took my whole name, but this time it didn't bother me.

"Everything I do have a reason behind it, Shadow" I responded.

She flinched on my response.

"Every time you say that, do you have any idea how your subjects are going to react if once they find out who their newly appointed queen is? They might rebel, King. You really want that?" Her voice quivered.

"Just put me in a cell and let me rot in there. I have no desire whatsoever left within me. I don't want...I have no reason left. To live" she sounded weak, vulnerable, this was something I had never seen on her.

"Never forget you are my prisoner, little killer. Your purpose in life is to stay with me" I said and she took a deep breath.

 We both realised what I said, and corrected, "I mean, to stay as my prisoner" I cleared my throat.

"You should go back and sleep, the wedding is the day after tomorrow, you don't want to be tired" I said and nodded my head towards the door.

She sucked in a breath and turned around to go away, when I suddenly grabbed her hand.

I had no idea why.

She looked at me, confused. I showed her my hand, covered in henna "Aapka naam nahi hai humaari hatheli par, naam toh batati jaayi ae apna" I requested.

(Your name is not on the palm of my hand. Please tell me your name)

She smiled, "Jis din hum Ranvijay ki izzat karenge uss din bata denge naam aapko." She replied. "Abhi hum sirf Maharaj ki izzat karte hai" She completed.

(The day I start respecting Ranvijay, I will tell you my name)

(Right now, I only respect the King Ranvijay)

I nodded and loosened my grip on her hand and let her go, she swiftly left the room, conveying that she didn't want to indulge in any more conversations.

I closed the palm of my hand and went back to my work, her words still ringing in my head. 

So much tension, I loved it while I was writing, but I hope you loved it more!

Question:

What do you think of Adwith?

Until the next chapter 

And I am sorry for the short chapter😭

Babyeee!!