08

VOTE!!! PLEASEEEE

The light

"Bring those thieves forward" I commanded.

The ones who had the audacity to steal the taxes from me turned out to be men in their early 20's. The first thought that crossed my mind, was how was this possible, how were these kids able to steal from soldiers who were twice their height and had immeasurable strength.

Yet, the general stated they were the ones who did it. How could I question him?

He was my most reputed and trusted soldier after his father, that was the very reason he became the next commander of my army.

"Tell the truth, were you the ones who stole from me?" I questioned, in an attempt to find out the truth if there was any.

From the corner of my eye, I could see her. Standing in the viewer window reserved for the woman of the palace, a veil hiding her face, but I knew her facial expression before I could even see it, as it mirrored mine, stoic, void of emotions.

They all bow their heads in regret, they wait for my wrath but... "Maharaj" she said, "Can I tell you something?" she asked "As you can see, I am quite busy here Little Killer" I interjected, "I have heard about what happened and where it happened, I can assure you, these boys weren't the ones who stole the tax collected by the officers, I feel like they are being framed" she explained.

That was what I was thinking, but I can't give her the satisfaction that her remark is significant, "I didn't ask for your advice, you can go back to the viewing window, and stay absolutely quite" I scolded her, she diverted her gaze to the people in front, evidently embarrassed, her jaw clenched out of frustration.

"Put them in the underground dungeon, I will see to what their punishment is going to be" I order the Lieutenant, the boys started pleading for mercy and crying, they can't be the thieves, "The court is adjourned" Getting up, I get the sight of her, still sitting in her place, lost in thought. A smile crosses my face, it feels so good to see her this way, defeated.

Upon my arrival in my study, I see that there is a book kept on the table, a handwritten manuscript, with the title 'The Bandits of Chandra' That's the place from where the tax was stolen.

After reading the account, I could make out that these boys who the soldiers have arrested have indeed not stolen the taxes. It must be the Bandits who reside in the mountainous region of the Chandra district, they are burly, strong and unforgiving.

"Sipahi! (Soldier!)" I call upon the guard stationed outside my gate, "Ask the general to go to the Chandra district and capture the Bandits that reside there, take as many soldiers as necessary and tell him this is an order" I bellow, he bows his head and exits to convey my message.

"Am I allowed to enter, Maharaj?" I hear Meera's voice, "You may".

"Maharaj, I have to tell you something" she begins, "Were you the one? Who kept this book on the table?" I inquire, "Maharaj..." she speaks up, "It must be you, thank you so much Meera, this book helped me a lot, you are the only one who cares about me in this palace to search through the library to get me this book." I tell her, delighted and grateful for what she had done, "It didn't cross my mind to research on the place" I add, "Huh? Yes...Yes Maharaj it was me, I put the book at your table" she tells me, a smile on her face.

"That was what I wanted to tell you, now I would like to take your leave, your highness" she bows down, "Yes, you must have so much work to do" I tell her, "Can you please tell the one who attends the library that I wish to read every book that is on Dacoits and Bandits stationed in my kingdom, I wish to eradicate them" I ask her before she leaves, "Yes Maharaj, I will convey your message" with that she takes her leave.

I hear the door slam open after almost 20 minutes of Meera's departure, "You gave her all the credit?" she asked, this woman has the audacity to raise her voice at me?

"How dare you come inside without asking for permission? You are only adding to your pile of mistakes" I mused, "You think she put that book on the table?" she questioned, not wavering from her topic, "What are you talking about" I sighed as I wasn't in the mood for another banter, "I was the one who put the book about the bandits on your table and you gave her all the credit?" she yelled.

"Keep your voice down, lady. Just because I am not treating you the way you are supposed to be treated, like a criminal, doesn't mean I have forgotten what you are and what you have done. As for the book? I don't know what sort of nonsense you are brewing, because I know how capable Meera is, and I am sure you are the one who is lying. Because I have known Meera for far too long, and I know about her capabilities, I am not going to entertain this behaviour of yours just because you share some sort of animosity with the head of servants." I bark.

I can sense the shift of atmosphere as her eyes darkened, her face tensed, her brows furrowed, she was blinking very fast, as if to make sure any sort of emotions doesn't escape her eyes.

"You may be a great king, but you are really oblivious to some facts. I really thought you were different, that I had perceived you in a wrong sense, I thought I was wrong. But I forgot, just how cruel a man is, I decided to give a man another chance. And reality smacked me across the face, because no man is better. All of you are the same." She hissed.

She sounded exactly like I wanted her to, venomous. She hasn't lost her spark; she is still indeed the Shadow.

 I know its a short chapter, but I might give you a double update!!

Vote fast and comment your thoughts!

Also share the book with friends who like to read!

Until then, Babyeee!!