Chapter 24: Revealing The Status

"Ariel, I understand if you need some time to think about it," Declan said in an understanding tone. "I mean, I get it this is too sudden and—"

"Actually, Dee, I don't need time to think about it," Ariel let out in an apologetic tone.

Declan observed her expressions—her eyes warm but filled with sympathy—and he knew what was coming. In order not to come out as pathetic, he decided to act playful about the situation. "Gotta say I did not expect to get turned down right away."

She chuckled softly. "It's not you, Dee. You are an amazing guy, trust me. The problem is with me. Right now, I'm too focused on my career," she replied, her words gentle yet firm. "Even if you and I went out, our schedules would never align and it would open up a gate to new problems every day between us. You know, no relationship lasts without giving each other adequate time."

Declan opened his mouth to say something, but she beat him to it.

"I know you might say we will never know if we don't try," she said, and he scratched the back of his neck sheepishly because that was exactly what he was about to say. "But I don't want to take the risk. I am... I am just not at that stage right now, you see. I want to solely focus on my career without having to worry about anything else."

Declan nodded and gave her a wry smile. "I understand. You worked way too hard to get where you are today to compromise with it for a relationship."

Ariel took a step forward towards him, a sincere smile on her lips. "This part of you, Dee, is so amazing. The way you understand me. Any girl would be lucky to have you." She took his hands in hers. "It's really such a shame I can't be that lucky girl. But trust me when I say I'm really flattered that you asked me out and I really appreciate your feelings and the way you have treated me until now."

"I can't lie and say your rejection doesn't sting, but I think I might have fallen for you harder," he let out, mesmerized. He wasn't kidding. His feelings for her were deepening with every word she uttered. He admired how dedicated she was to her career and wasn't willing to compromise with it. If he was in her shoes, he would have done the same thing.

A brief laugh escaped her throat, her head tilting backwards. He couldn't help but admire her more. "Well, that's another thing I appreciate about you—your honesty," she admitted.

"Perhaps, I am hoping my honesty will sway your heart," he joked, squeezing her hands.

"Even if it did sway my heart, my mind is too strong," she responded, her voice lighthearted.

He shook his head, laughing. "I give up. I can't win against you."

A big smile played on her lips as she watched his playful expressions, her heart aching at the fact she was turning down such a good guy. But she couldn't break her promise. She promised herself that she would never let personal feelings get in the way of her work.

That was how she had gotten so far in her career; now wasn't the time to sacrifice it. She had already gotten too involved with the band; a romantic relationship with one of its members was the last thing she needed.

"I hope this confession doesn't change the way we were. I really hope we can continue our friendship," Declan requested.

"For your sake, I don't think it's such a good idea—"

"Please," he pleaded with almost puppy-like eyes. "You already shot down my proposal, don't shoot down my friendship as well."

Ariel was conflicted. While she knew it was a bad idea to act all buddy-buddy with a guy after confession, she couldn't say no to Declan again.