Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Eliza

               Jack didn't tell me about his meeting with Debra. He just said, he had a good time and that he wanted to see her again. She wouldn't tell me either which I thought was really weird. Once I told her that we were leaving the hospital, she made us a bunch of desserts and some sandwiches. "He needs food and sunlight. And you guys come see me whenever you want. I'll be here," She hugged me tight and wiped away her tears. She gave me her phone number, for the first time for as long as I've known her. "Thank you Debra, I appreciate you greatly." I take the food in my hands and go back to Jack's room. "Did you grab some of those hospital pants?" He saw that I came back with things in my hands. "No, but I will ask about them before we go. Did you grab all your stuff?" I was talking about his book. "Yes, I think I am all set." He looked around the room he laid in for about 6 months. "Are you ready to go?" He nods his head and I help him out the door.

         "I think I can do it," He walks away from me and to the elevator. I went up the front desk and get one of the woman's attention. "Excuse me," It was the lady that looked over Jack. She touched his things and cleaned up his room. "Hello, how may I help you?" I wanted nothing more than to snap at her. She is creepy, and she made staying here uneasy. "Jack Ellis is checking out today and I want to know if we can get 2 extra pairs of hospital pants?" She hesitated for a little, but once Jack came behind me she went behind the desk and grabbed a pair. "Here you go," She handed them to him with a smile on her face. "Excuse me," I eyed her. She cleared her throat and handed me some papers. "Since he is checking out today, we need you or him to sign one of these forms and get his schedule for therapy. Then you two can be on your way," Her smile and positivity started to irritate me. I took a pen from her with a smiley face on it. I wanted nothing more than to stab her with it. "Thank you,"

            She handed me the form and I filled out some small information on it. "What kind relationship do you have with the patient?" The form listed some options and I didn't know what to put. "Which one should I mark down?" I look over at Jack in the seat next to me, picking out a sucker from a jar. "Pick the one that says spouse," He licked the sucker and looked satisfied. He took three more out of the jar. "Okay," I turn the form back in and I smile to the lady. "You have guys have a good night," I said the same to her and we left. I felt my phone vibrate in my back pocket. "Do you think I could get a goodbye?" Thomas texted me. I saw him down the hall with his phone in his hands. "No, I can see you later," I sent back. Jack and I walked onto the elevator and went down to the lobby. We waved the ladies goodbye and went outside. "You can just set the stuff in the back and call shotgun. We'll be home, and you can lay down." It was pretty early in the day, but I wanted nothing more than to take a nap.

                We got onto the road and he gripped so hard on his seat belt. "It's okay, Jack." I wasn't going very fast and he seemed to have a panic attack. "You're not gonna act like this every time we get into the car, are you?" I joke, but it was the wrong time to. "Shhh it's okay," I turned down the radio and started to hum. I put my hand out for him to touch, but he didn't grab it. "Put two hands on the wheel," He snapped at me. I continue to hum, but he tells me to stop. "I'm sorry, I just want to concentrate." We were close to the apartment. Maybe some familiarity to good things will calm him down. I let the windows down and turned off the air conditioner. "Is the wind better?" He looked like he wanted to stick his whole head out of the window. "Yes," When we got home he was silent. We didn't speak a word together the whole elevator ride up. Once I open the door, I saw his eyes widen.

               The house was clean for once, and it smelled good. "What do you think?" Everything was still the same; just like it was when he left that night. He runs his hand across every surface. His eyes move to the living room with pictures of us together stand on the shelves. He makes his way to the couch and sits down on the floor. We did just that on Valentine's Day.