Ch.15: A Way Out

3rd Person POV

Jason and Frank were searching the mall for the supplies that Isabella needs to make the drug that might halt Frank's zombification. They found almost all the items, except for a camp stove. The list said it could be found in a camping store in the Entrance Plaza.

Jason and Frank arrived to see more zombies. Quickly killing them, the two entered the camping store, and after a few minutes of searching, Frank found it.

Frank: Alright, that should be everything on the list.

Jason: Then let's head back.

Jason was about to leave, but Frank called out to him.

Frank: Hey, Jason. Wait just a sec.

Frank then sat down on one of the chairs in the store.

Frank: There's some things I wanna say before we continue.

Jason looked around, making sure there weren't any zombies trying to sneak up on them, and sat next to Frank.

Jason: Alright. What's up?

Frank:...*sighs* I don't... I don't know how much time I have left... So, if anything happens, I just want you to know that you've been one helluva friend. And that if anything happens to me... If the drug doesn't work... You'll tell the world what happened here.

Jason:... Of course. And Frank, you've been a really good friend, too.... But the drug will work. We will get out of here...

Jason stood up, and held his hand out to Frank.

Jason: Together.

Frank looked at Jason for a bit, before taking his hand.

Frank: Right.

Frank stood up, and the two shared a quick hug, before going back to the hideout. When they got back, they helped Isabella set up the supplies, and now, they needed one last, important, ingredient.

Isabella: Well, that's everything as far as supplies are concerned. Now all I'll need are some queens.

Frank: Yeah. Uhh... Listen, just how long do you suppose your drug will prevent me from turning into a walking corpse?

Isabella: *sighs* During my research, I was never able to conduct proper clinical studies. To a certain extent, the period of effectiveness depends on each patients physiology. It could be a year... Maybe only a week... There's no way to tell for sure.

Frank: *sighs* Fantastic! So, I'll be a walking zombie time bomb.

Jason: Well, it's better than the alternative.

Isabella suddenly sat down at the company started frantically typing. Both Jason and Frank looked on with confusion and a hint of worry.

Frank: What's wrong?

Isabella: Once the drugs development was complete, Carlito poured his energy into starting an NPO dedicated to helping war orphans. We had 50 doses of the drug prepared. And not long after that, the NPO managed to find homes for a large group of children. Want to guess just how many?

Isabella then pulls up a screen with a bunch of children's names, and the different states and cities of America. Then it clicked in Jason's head.

Jason: Oh my God....

Frank: What?

Jason: Think about it... Carlito has access to the same virus that wiped out his home. Then he develops a drug that reverses the effects of that virus. Now, with both the virus and the drug in his possession, he suddenly gets a bunch of orphans, and finds homes from all of them all across America. The same country he blames for Santa Cabeza's destruction.