Ch.14: Overtime

Jason POV

It's all come full circle. The government fucks up, and now they're covering their tracks. And Jessie... How did all this happen? Either way, Frank and I are the only ones who can shed some light on what really happened here. So it doesn't matter if the government has decided to give us the finger. We'll get out of here, and make sure that all the lives lost weren't for nothing. But to do that, we gotta survive the government cleanup.

Frank and I rushed back to the secret hideout. As we were running through Paradise Plaza, we could hear gunfire coming from the Entrance Plaza. The operation started, and we needed to get out of sight fast. Thankfully we were able to take out any zombies we came across silently. If the special forces were to hear extra gunfire, they'd definitely know that there were survivors.

We made it back, and managed to avoid detection from the special forces. They've even deployed an attack helicopter to patrol the park to see if there are survivors. Thankfully, we avoided being spotted by it. We got back, and we saw Isabella sitting by the computer. Isabella looked at us.

Isabella:... Where are your friends?

Frank:... The military got to em' first...

Jason: We weren't fast enough...

Isabella: Oh... I'm sorry...

After that, nothing was said. We just sat in silence. Only the sound of distant gunfire could be heard.

11 hours later

We were cutting it really close, but we didn't want to take any risks. If we're caught by the military, then it's all over.

We waited for 11 hours, but the sound of gunfire ceased, and the sounds of helicopters flying away could be heard.

Frank: *checks watch* We've got one hour. If we're gonna leave, we have to go now!

Jason: Alright. Let's go, Isabella-

Isabella: No...

Frank and I looked at her confused.

Frank: What do you mean "no"?! If we're not there by 12, then we're stuck here!

Jason: Frank's right, we have to go.

Isabella: Don't worry about me... This is my punishment... So I'm staying.

Jason: Isabella, we don't have time to debate whether or not you deserve to be left behind. We need to go, and you're coming with us, that's final!

Isabella:.... *sighs* Ok.

We all leave the hideout, and when we got to the main hall of the North Plaza, we were met with zombie corpses everywhere. Ignoring the corpses, we ran past all of them, and made our way to the roof of the security room.

When we arrived, there was no sign of a helicopter approaching.

Jason: Frank, check the time.

Frank: *checks watch* It's 5 minutes till noon.

Jason: He should be here... Where the hell is he?!

3rd Person POV

Elsewhere, on a rooftop, Ed was laying down looking at the mall with binoculars. He saw Jason, Frank and Isabella.

Ed: Well I'll be damned. They're still alive. Those sons of bitches made it. *gasps* That must mean they got the scoop. I can't wait to get my share of the take!

Ed gets in his helicopter, and takes off to pick them up.

Ed: Alright, boys. You just hang tight. I'm on my way.