Chapter 14 : First Day

Start from the beginning

"What's that like? Imagine my surprise and horror, Ace, when I discovered you were SHOT!"

You emphasized each word with a growing intensity, your hands planted firmly on your hips and your foot tapping in unmistakable irritation.

Ace's reaction was immediate and reflexive.

He sprang to his feet, bowing deeply in an earnest apology, "I-I'M SORRY!"

The guilt was palpable in his voice, his posture one of deep remorse.

You, however, were not ready to let the moment pass so easily.

With a hand resting against your temple, you exhaled a heavy sigh, a mixture of frustration and concern lacing your voice.

"You know the rules, right?" you prompted, the rhetorical nature of your question hanging in the air between you.

" 'Don't let you find out about my injuries no matter what'," Ace recited the well-known rule from his still-bowed position, his voice laced with the realization of his misstep.

"MY GOD ACE! I DID NOT GO THROUGH HELL TO FEED AND PROVIDE A GOOD LIFE FOR MY BABY BROTHERS, JUST SO THEY COULD END UP GETTING SHOT AND INJURED!"

Your words burst forth, a torrent of frustration and fear for his well-being breaking through your usually composed exterior.

Ace flinched under the weight of your words, a clear sign that your message hit home.

Ace's reaction was swift and dramatic as he dropped to his knees, pressing his forehead to the floor in a gesture of deep remorse and submission.

"I'M SORRY, NEE-CHAN! IT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN!" His voice, muffled by his position, was fervent with the promise of reform.

You crossed your arms and let out a growl, your frustration palpable in the air.

"You're bloody damn right it won't happen again!"

Your voice was a mix of anger and an underlying worry that he might not fully grasp the gravity of his actions.

As Ace dared to lift his head, the corners of his eyes glistened with unshed tears, a testament to his genuine fear and regret.

The sight of him so vulnerable and terrified tugged at your heartstrings, despite your anger.

"W-what do you mean..?"

His voice trembled, fear lacing each word.

In your mind's eye, you could almost see cartoonish puppy dog ears sprouting from his head, enhancing his look of pitiable fear, which paradoxically added to your irritation yet also softened your heart slightly.

The image of his whimpering form only served to increase your exasperation, marked by the metaphorical ticks popping around your head.

Despite the humor in the mental image, it underscored the seriousness of the situation.

You sank back into your chair with a thud, leveling a piercing gaze at Ace and commanded him to remain where he was.

The seriousness in your voice was unmistakable as you delivered a demand that would change the course of his professional life.

"I want you to resign as Head of Security," you declared, the intensity of your glare underscoring the gravity of your words.

Ace, taken aback by the suddenness and severity of your request, sprang to his feet, his expression a mixture of disbelief and desperation.

"W-what?! I can't just do that, Nee-chan! I love my job!" he protested, his voice laden with a mix of panic and incredulity.

"Do I look like I'm willing to negotiate?" The coldness in your voice sliced through the air, a clear indication that there was no room for discussion.