Remember the Fallen

As the son of Asclepius appeared in the junkyard once again, it seemed that no one had followed his instructions, but he couldn't blame them. The demi-gods were wandering piles of junk, admiring the treasure lost to time and rust. Piles of metal objects glinted in the moonlight: broken heads of bronze horses, metal legs from human statues, smashed chariots, tons of shields and swords and other weapons, along with more modern items, like cars that gleamed gold and silver, refrigerators, washing machines, and computer monitors. 

"Find anything cool?" he called out to them. 

"Don't touch anything!" was his only response. 

Jogging up to the group, he joined them in their walk through what he presumed to be the junkyard of Hephaestus. There was no one else (Y/N) could think of that could have this much junk and find a need to keep it all. 

"I don't like this place," Thalia said. She gripped the shaft of her spear."You think we're going to get attacked by killer refrigerators?" Percy asked.

She gave him a hard look. "Zoe is right, Percy. Things get thrown away here for a reason. Now come on, let's get across the yard." 

"That's the second time you've agreed with Zoe," the son of Asclepius heard the son of Poseidon mutter under his breath. 

They started picking their way through the hills and valleys of junk. The stuff seemed to goon forever, and if it hadn't been for someones tracking skills and knowledge of the constellations, they would've gotten lost. All the hills pretty much looked the same. Whilst it would have been smart to leave everything alone and not risk it,there was too much cool junk not to check out some of it. Percy found an electric guitar shaped like Apollo's lyre that (Y/N) could have sworn he saw used by the god once. Grover found a broken tree made out of metal. It had been chopped to pieces, but some of the branches still had golden birds in them, and they whirred around when Grover picked them up, trying to flap their wings. (Y/N) himself even found a helmet with a visor that allowed him to see peoples hearts through walls. Cool. Finally, they saw the edge of the junkyard about half a mile ahead, the lights of a highway stretching through the desert. But between them and the road...

"What is that?" Bianca gasped. 

Ahead was a hill much bigger and longer than the others. It was like a metal mesa,the length of a football field and as tall as goalposts. At one end of the mesa was a row of ten thick metal columns, wedged tightly together. 

Bianca frowned. "They look like—"

"Toes," Grover said. 

Bianca nodded. "Really, really large toes."

Zoe and Thalia exchanged nervous looks.

"Let's go around," Thalia said. "Far around."

"But the road is right over there," Percy protested. "Quicker to climb over." 

"No, you can't take any risks in this..." 

Ping. 

Thalia hefted her spear and Zoe drew her bow, but then (Y/N) realised it was only Grover.He had thrown a piece of scrap metal at the toes and hit one, making a deep echo, as if the column were hollow. 

"Why did you do that?" Zoe demanded. 

Grover cringed. "I don't know. I, uh, don't like fake feet?"

"Come on." Thalia looked at Percy directly. "Around." 

He didn't argue. After several minutes of walking, they finally stepped onto the highway, an abandoned but well-lit stretch of black asphalt. 

"We made it out," Zoe said. "Thank the gods."