12- Silent magic

January 10, 1995

Severus continued thinking about the conversation he had had with Karkaroff and the presence of the Dark Mark, growing darker and darker on his arm.

Dumbledore also shared his suspicions that the Dark Lord was regaining his strength, and that the day would come when his return was inevitable.

The professor wondered, not for the first time, what would happen when that day arrived.

Dumbledore had already asked him to return to his old role as a spy, which was not without risk. Not even Severus, with his masterful skills in Occlumency, was free from suffering the wrath of his former lord. What would happen if he was not able to fulfill his role?

His life wasn't worth much outside of his work as a spy, but Severus felt that it wasn't just about him anymore. He had to think about Lily.

As much as he had promised to help and protect Harry Potter, Severus was not deceived, the boy was not alone. Dumbledore watched him like a bird of prey, and there were also others like Lupin, Black and the Weasleys who would jump to his defense if necessary. Even the irritating Alastor Moody was at his service, like a fussy old bodyguard.

But Lily had no one. No one cared about her, and what was worse, everyone thought she was a muggleborn.

And precisely for that reason, Severus felt that it was his responsibility to prepare her for the future, so that she could defend herself the day he was no longer at her side.

Because Severus knew better than anyone that sometimes you had to fight for yourself, because no one else would.

***

Lily entered the office curiously, wondering what Professor Snape would want with her. The wizard had asked her to stay after class, with that expression he wore when he wanted to be secretive and mysterious, and Lily wondered if he wanted to tell her something about the Christmas party.

"Miss White, you no doubt remember a conversation we had last year about your ability to perform non-verbal spells," she nodded, wondering what he was getting at. "Have you done it again?"

"Sometimes, when I practice alone."

"I think you should progress in your training, especially learning defense and attack spells," Lily looked at him blankly. "What I mean, Miss White, is that I am going to train you in magical dueling, and I hope that by the end of the course you will be able to face me without saying the spells out loud."

Lily's eyes widened in surprise. That was not part of the usual syllabus for a third-year student, but the teacher's tone gave no room for a reply.

"Of course, the headmaster has given his permission," Severus lied. Dumbledore didn't know anything, and he hoped he would never find out. "But I would appreciate it if you didn't say a word to your colleagues."

"Should I tell them that I am following the advanced potions course?" Lily raised her eyebrows and gave a small smile that Severus recognized very well. It was a grimace he made himself when he was scheming.

"I will give you a list of the spells you must learn during the week, and on Thursday afternoons you will practice them with me, in silence," he continued, trying to keep his face in an imperturbable expression. "You can leave."

Lily obeyed, but before opening the door she turned to him.

"Professor, someone sent me a package of candy for Christmas, but it didn't have a return address," she said tentatively. He crossed his arms and replied with a bored look.