Stargazing (Mina - Twice)

With the way things are going, Mina's begging for trouble

With the way things are going, Mina's begging for trouble. And not the usual slap of the wrist kind that celebrities get away withthe kind that's scandalous, career damning.

She's so close to falling apart.

And as you watch her come undone—the very image that defines her gradually disappears—you can't help but think: she deserves this.

—————

If there's any clear-cut takeaway, it's this: Mina is designed to be gorgeous, and she plays the part to near perfection.

That's the whole point. Here's a sea of media outlets and paparazzi, accompanied by flashing cameras and screaming fans on one side. On the other, stars and figures from different fields, all dressed to the nines and emanate a distinguishable aura. The 'I'm better than you' kind. No amount of modest smiles and perfectly curated PR-fluff can disguise the noxious air of celebrity on the red carpet.

Then you look at Mina, wearing the hell out of that backless dress, designed by none other than yours truly (you). You couldn't have asked for a better muse. She carries herself and your brand around with a confident smile—with pride—seemingly indifferent to the raucous screams telling her to look this way, that way. Wherever her profile turns, cameras illuminate the crowd in near-perfect unison.

It's a slow motion fashion moment.

As if she couldn't look any prettier, she brushes her hair with a quick, delicate swipe of her hand with queenly grace. The cameras live for moments like these. It's what goes viral online; it's what gets social media buzzing. She's a K-pop idol, the media will say and it's true, but she doesn't look out of place with the so-called elite. If anything, she blends in seamlessly, rich, quiet, and enigmatic personality and all.

Cameras continue to follow her as she walks through the carpet. She greets a few other celebrities in the vicinity; mostly Hollywood actresses and artists before she disappears behind the steps of the building. Throughout the entire ordeal, you were never on her mind, not even during interviews, nor when she was in clear view, even though you made her what she is now. All she can think about is herself and her character. That's how fame works.

You don't even get a text. Your only reference is a note that reads 23:00.

—————

The next time you see Mina is hours later, at the promised time. One slender leg enters the backseat of the vehicle. She remains mostly untouched, leaving the gala looking the same as when she entered. She's considerate enough to wave and give a flying kiss to the crowd, who unsurprisingly, go crazy for her. It's a convincing act. You would, too, if you weren't always by her side for ninety percent of the day.

She breathes out this deeply relieved sigh once the door slams shut. She's tired—of being someone else, and just exhausted in general; she's been in front of a mirror since five in the morning and it's almost midnight by the time the event ends. You can tell she'd rather be in her hotel suite than anywhere else.