Mistakes were made, but not you (Yunjin - Le sserafim)

"Why? Why weren't you there? I needed you and you weren't there!"

While Yunjin lashes out at you, grabbing at your shirt and using you as a proxy for the world and its ill-timed misfortunes, you can't help but wonder if your presence would have changed the situation for the better.

Probably not. It's one of those events that has to happen for character growth.

—————

Tonight is supposed to be a night of celebration—a commemoration to the achievements, accomplishments, and accolades of the past year. The numbers and statistics never lie. They love her work, they love her artistry. They love her for what she sells and what she represents. But truth be told, Huh Yunjin couldn't care less about what they think.

Thunderous cheers and colorful lightsticks representing different fandoms brighten the arena as the five Le sserafim members climb up the stairs to claim their award. Minutes ago, they pulled off the performance of a lifetime—an eight minute masterclass that represents everything the group stands for. You could see the exhaustion in their faces; barely mustering the strength to smile and wave to the crowd shouting for them.

For the most part, the acceptance speech is nothing notable. Going through the motions, thanking the fans, the staff, the company, promising to do better in the future—it's about as cookie cutter as it gets. As Yunjin tries her hardest to keep her tears from falling while she talks, the other four can only focus on her with varying weary looks. Chaewon looks especially worried; it's her responsibility and burden to look after every single one of them.

From the audience's viewpoint, it's seen as a non-issue, but the five girls recognize deep down it's anything but. The only noteworthy thing is how suddenly quick they are on their feet heading backstage. It's funny how everyone chases fame: to be in the moment, the spotlight. It's funnier, Yunjin thinks, that she'd rather be anywhere else.

Unfortunately for her and the other artists attending, they'd have to wait a little longer. There's backstage interviews and other idol obligations to do before they are finally let go. It's not even worth all that lost time—that one award they receive ends up being their lone win for the night.

—————

Yunjin storms into your hotel room without a word with a fierce expression on her face. She doesn't have to say it; she's thankful she doesn't have to spend another minute in front of the cameras, another minute being an idol—at least for the night.

In a sea of anger and auburn, Yunjin walks past you without acknowledging you at least once. She hastily drops off her purse on the coffee table before charging straight to her room and slamming the door. It's easy to chalk up her frustrations on the monotony of the awards season—the countless hours of practice specifically for one event, the hours spent in the makeup room, the hours of interviews and fanservice—but you know she never acts like this. Rain or shine, hell or high water, she'll walk around with a pleasant smile on her face.