Anywhere but home (Seulgi - Red Velvet)

"So can you tell me why you decided to stop by here, out of all places?" you ask, intently gazing at your uninvited guest

The thing is, you're also an uninvited guest.

You're inside a hotel room, not your home.

The woman leans back on her chair, smiling radiantly, mirroring that same deep stare back. She takes a moment to ponder through her answer, let her eyes linger on you a little longer.

"I missed you."

"Do your members even know of your wheareabouts?" you say, worried. She should be anywhere else but here.

She strongly shakes her head, waves it off as a non-concern. "No, but you shouldn't worry about them at all."

"So they—"

"They're too busy having fun by themselves." Kang Seulgi has this dour expression on her lips, as if you're asking beyond what you're supposed to. "Again, you shouldn't worry about any of them."

"I'm surprised they haven't caught on about our secret—yet."

Seulgi chuckles, running through fond memories in her head. "I keep my promises, remember? And you haven't."

It's not easy to defend your case to Seulgi, even if the reasons are justified. Back then, you were both young and reckless, and based on how she acts and sounds now, she still is. Of course you still remember the promise you made, much clearer now that she's suddenly back in your life again than when you first spoke about them years ago. Life really finds a way to make sure you hold up your end of the bargain, pursuing you even as far as the ends of the earth.

"You know very well I couldn't stay longer than a year," you say, sitting on a dinner chair across from her.

"Then why did you promise me that you would come back then?"

She rolls her eyes.

"Look—" you pause and catch a breath. Note the sudden lump suddenly stuck in your throat—a byproduct from years of pent-up feelings from a lack of closure. "Life happened. Shit happens. I didn't willingly forget, I just didn't get any opportunity to see you again."

"Sure, sure. Willingly forget, right." Seulgi scoffs at your answer, as if you weren't going through difficult circumstances like she had, as if you had no battles to fight. "I bet you were doing better once you left me to go home, like they always do."

"Did you not hear anything I just said?" you reply, raising your voice. "I told you life happened!"

"Okay, let's remove the part where none of us could fly for a year, maybe two. How about the rest?" Seulgi retaliates with another question, and it leaves you in utter disbelief at how stubborn she is. Perhaps that's the one thing that brings you two together: just how headstrong you both are. "Did you even try to reach out at all?"