Traction (Krystal Jung)

Glass of champagne in hand, sitting on the driver's seat, you sigh wistfully

Glass of champagne in hand, sitting on the driver's seat, you sigh wistfully. If only you had the keys to the car you're seated in. Only God knows how much you despise attending casual parties, much more a corporate one. You don't even own an Audi; the Mercedes you showed up in confirms this. Yet here you are, a participant at the former's reveal for their latest electric model. Like the sound of the battery that will power a majority of vehicles in the near future, you run through the motions in a quiet, dull manner. It's not even the slightest bit discreet. You didn't want to be there, but the friend who desperately was looking for someone to invite as a 1+1 bothered you until you finally caved in.

Bodies of suited men and women, all holding identical wine glasses, discuss useless babble that most likely doesn't even involve the car. You're slowly succumbing to sleepiness. Not from alcohol, but from boredom. Keeping your eyes open becomes an increasingly difficult action. Can't even bother your friend since he's off partying somewhere in the ballroom's dance floor. Who knows, maybe he remembers to send you back to your hotel room, provided that he isn't completely inebriated. Which isn't going to happen at all.

A creak of the door and a slight shake of the ride snaps you out of your drowsy daze. Look around and a woman has joined you, sitting on the passenger side. She lets out a weary yawn, sharing the same level of uninterest as you. You turn away from her, wanting to re enter sleep again. Then you feel a gentle tap on your shoulder.

"Hey." She whispers matter-of-factly. Can't be bothered to talk right now, try again in a million years.

Nope. Another pull of your shoulder. Resist as much as you want, she'll eventually annoy you enough into a conversation. Get the chitchat out of the way so she can leave you alone, you say to yourself.

With only half an eye open, you return your focus to the woman. "What?" Your voice is deep sounding. Through blurred vision, you can find her slightly chuckling.

"Having a good night?" She asks matter-of-factly.

Shake your head. "What do you think?" Returning her question with obvious sarcasm. Anyone with a brain can tell you want to be anywhere else except there. She laughs, much more apparent than earlier.

With your sight returning, you recognize the woman as Soojung, otherwise known as Krystal Jung. One benefit of these random parties are the notable figures you end up meeting. Most of them are quickly forgotten, but not her. You preferred her more than Jessica after all. Seeing your celebrity crush in the flesh immediately sparks life back into you.

"O-oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize—"

"It's fine." Soojung interrupts your apology. "I'm just as bored as you are. So, what brings you here?"

"A friend. Not really a fan of cars, especially Audis. You?"

"Brand model. But I'm much more of an Italian girl, if you know what I'm saying."