Jennifer's Journal 6: Homestead

Jennifer's Journal: Chapter 6

Kalvin looks so peaceful standing in the garden with his long walking stick and his straw hat. His peg leg even looks kinda cool, not that I didn't wish he had his full leg, but he gets around well.

The garden itself is more a collection of wild berry bushes and clumps of plants. They all grow nearly perfectly, as if the roots don't compete. So Kalvin spends very little time actually gardening to keep them alive. It's more like he harvests and cooks nonstop. I think I've mentioned that he volunteered at soup kitchens as a career, but that under sells just how amazing his food is. We are having wings with mixed berry hot sauce and rice tonight. There's still some stew leftover to.

Dale's arm has recovered from the poisonous fish that stung him when we had first arrived. Not only that, but due to a nonstop regiment of chopping wood and healthy food, he has slimmed down to a very muscular build. Cheryl won't shut up about it.

It's been four months now. We can tell because Valentina has counted and mapped the lights in the glacier above. She even had Alex and Rico help her build a sort of sundial. She carves marks into it every now and then that none of us can really follow. Says the lights move like bugs, but I have no idea how bugs can live in solid ice. Don't want to know either.

Al is the one that has really stepped up, though. He was a janitor for a construction company in Chicago before the crash. His dad was a foreman once, but I'll never wanted to move up. With help from basically everyone, but mostly just him, we now have a long shelter. The sleeping rooms are low-hanging, about three feet high to the roof, but we each have a bed. Not just piles of sticks and weeds either. Ragean and Trevor used some tools they made (more on that later) on a breed of cat that eats fruit and grows so much fur that it can't move.

Kalvin has also filled our bed with thornless roses because he's a ham. This place is like a wonderful fever dream. We all remember the crazy things outside, and most of us still want to be rescued, but some of us would rather live our lives in this simple place below the earth. I'm almost certain Cheryl wouldn't leave if you paid her, but I'll talk more about that later. Dinner's ready.