Jennifer's Journal 3: Fairy's Sacrifice

Jennifer's Journal: Chapter 3

We ventured back into the cave. Not far from the where the fight with the spider had happened, there was a luminescent blue glow tucked away in a corner of the otherwise dark cavern. It was a small pool of water glowing like it had been blessed by faries. The real culprit of this fantastic glow was a see-through lobster with the body of a fish.

Dale said they look like large silver-fish, if they were actually fish. I would have called it a fish with lobster claws and a lobster tail. We were hopeful that we could eat them... it would have been easy living if we could have stayed in that part of the cave until rescued. We'll never know, though.

We had the well fished dry in an hour.

Kalvin boiled them each over a fire in a pot that had washed ashore from the plane. There were several hesitant looks around the fire before Kalvin stole the first bite. We all stared at him dumbfounded for no time at all. He could've still been poisoned when we started to eat, but no one cared anymore.

It was the most heavenly food I've ever tasted. It was as if Kalvin had used slightly spicy garlic marinade on the softest, tenderest shrimp to exist. I'm salivating just thinking about it.

If only we could have ended the night there. If only the well was plentiful, but it was barely enough for one serving each.

Kalvin butchered the spider next.

Watching alone was gross, Kalvin almost gave up trying to skin it when he realized how sticky it was between the skin and muscle. Strings of gray mucus-like stuff three yards long.

A few people threw up trying to eat it. I was almost one of them. After you got over the shock, the clumpy texture, and the near powdery dryness, it was actually pretty sour. Maybe if it was seasoned right, it would be good, but I doubt it. Meat shouldn't be naturally sour. Kal says it's too dry for spices anyway, but he also says the spider meat could be made into a delicious marinade with a terraki taste. I don't trust it.

Thankfully, he smoked most of it for later rationing. If we come across another miracle, then we might not have to eat it at all. Rationing has always been that part of the dungeons and dragons campaign that I leave out of my games because it's downright boring. It is the conversation in your down time where you're supposed to mark off how many cookies you ate on the road and count your matches, those two things that no one ever uses because playing like that is just depressing math.

I would trade one of my pussy lips to the goblin God Maglubiyet for some matches right now. Using a string and a twig to burn a hole into a log takes hours! An hour to scratch away shavings for kindling, and if you're lucky, only an hour of twisting a rod into a log. That's with a different person doing it every night. I would have arthritis doing that every night!

Merciful Athena, I hope we still get rescued. It's the modern age, they have to send people to look for missing planes... right?

Anyway, as much as we loved the idea of camping out in a very unsafe cave eating spider jerky, the teens had a much dumber idea. Exploring the cave.

To be fair, none of us could overlook the massive stretch of empty darkness to our right. It takes very little imagination to wonder at the horrors that could be waiting for us. As Valentina (a cute little goth teen from Venezuela who is obviously crushing on one of those boys in soccer jerseys) pointed out, spiders lay a lot of eggs.

Rico (one of those soccer teens, the one who doesn't have a crush) decided to check it out. He didn't make it two steps before Al put his hand on his shoulder, "we go together."

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Oh, fairy fountain, how we bleed you dry
The absence of your glow makes us cry
But it's foul meat that lets us persist
Have to keep nutrients,
don't throw up,
resist