Fighting for our Lives

Rico again

We had thought the creature ran, but it chucked its spear from the shadows of the treeline impaling Trevor in the back and protruding from his chest. His glasses fell to the dirt, and he sprawl out from the impact. Reagan dropped to his side with her hands hovering around the wound, but she knew better than to pull the spear out.

"Marie? This is insane! You can stop now!" Al called out to the cannibal.

A sweet voice that didn't match the decrepit cannibal called back, "Al? Help me. I'm sick, Al. I need help."

Al stepped forward. He held up his hand to keep us from approaching, but Kalvin kept his bow trained on the trees. I think the only reason he hesitated was the way the vertical lines seemed to make a thousand tall figures everywhere and at every moment.

Quiet sobbing turned to hysterical laughter.

When she finally did approach, it was in the form of another set of thin lines in the darkness. Al was going to say something. Maybe tell her it was okay now? Tell her that we found a way to survive (a world that was gone now).

A skeletal hand pierced the darkness and Al's chest. She collapsed onto him and twisted her arm inside of him like she was drilling through stone. When her hand withdrew, his heart came out skewered on her skeletal fingers. She bit into it even as it beat one last time. Even as Kalvin fired his first arrow into her chest. Even as the group descended on her.

Trevor still had a spear protruding from his chest as he raised his long machete. It didn't seem to slow him, but it made him elicit a blood curling battle-cry. He slashed nothing but air as Marie danced around him. It was fluid and quick, but lopsided and pained all at once.

She nearly hugged him for a moment to grab the spear handle hanging from his back. She used the leverage to turn him around as it finished eating Al's heart. He fell to his knees screaming as the cannibal monster stepped back and ripped the point free sloppily.

Me and Val threw our spears. It deflected one and received a shallow gash along its sunken stomach from the other. Dale charged, and his axe struck directly in the colorbone, cleaving its arm halfway off at the shoulder, but it didn't even blink. Even Trevor stood one last time and drove his blade into the monsters back and out the front of her midsection before succuming to the poison.

Kalvin shot it square in the chest again with his bow, but only when Reagan clobbered it with her smithing hammer did it stumble back and crawl into the woods.

For the second time that night, someone had to die in their lover's arms. Reagan stood almost immediately when she knew he had breathed his last. I thought her rage would burn down the forest, but Dale put his hand on her shoulder to stop her.

She shrugged him off, "We can finish it while it's wounded!"

"It is human, and it will die bleeding in the woods. We have to get the kid out of that hole."

He pointed to where Draco had been pulling dirt and antlers from the ground while we fought. He had a nice pile, but Alex was still underground. He had been sobbing and swearing some more under his breath but had stayed standing perfectly still. For all of the gruesome scars on his neck and peeled flesh, he only had one serious wound. The antler his foot had landed on.

It may have taken us hours of digging and watching the shadows move around through the trees(despite Dale's certainty), but we pulled Alex from the pit. Val hugged him a little too hard, and he still has a limp to this day, but he's alive.

That left half of us alive, but that's also when we heard the helicopter blades off of the coast.

RIP
[[[Al-Trevor-Cheryl-Jen]]]