Tears welled up in her eyes, spilling over in a silent torrent. She felt like a trapped animal, vulnerable and helpless. Rudra's hand tightened on hers, his presence a grounding force amidst the rising tide of fear.

"Pearl, calm down," he soothed, his voice gentle yet firm. "You're in the hospital. You were shot, but the doctors are taking care of you. Those things are helping you get better."

His words did little to quell the rising panic, but the warmth in his touch offered a sliver of comfort. She squeezed his hand back weakly, the vulnerability in his eyes mirroring her own fear.

"Shhh," he murmured, leaning closer. "Don't be scared. I'm here, no one will hurt you anymore." He said this while holding one hand of hers in his, and with the other hand, he was gently stroking her cheek, wiping away the tears that continued to flow.

As Pihu calmed down slightly, a dry rasp escaped her lips. "Water," she whispered, her voice hoarse.

Rudra's face softened further. "Of course, Pihu." He carefully helped her sit up a little and brought a straw to her lips, allowing her to take small sips of cool water. The doctor soon entered the room, his face a mask of professionalism. He checked Pihu's vitals, asked her a few questions, and reassured them both that she was stable for now. With a final nod, he left the room, leaving Pihu and Rudra alone once more.

The silence stretched, thick with unspoken emotions. Finally, Pihu's gaze drifted to Rudra. He looked worn down, his eyes heavy with exhaustion and worry etched onto his features. Yet, beneath the surface, a storm of emotions brewed – anger, disappointment, a flicker of something defiant, and a heavy weight of guilt that pressed down on him like the sterile walls of the waiting room.

Pihu felt a pang of concern for him, but her own anxieties gnawed at her. She wanted to ask about Shaurya, but the memory of her failed escape attempt and the reason for her current predicament sent a fresh wave of panic through her. Rudra's carefully constructed dam of composure would surely crumble under the weight of her question, unleashing a torrent of emotions she wasn't sure she could handle.

She knew her escape attempt had put Shaurya in danger. What had become of him? Was Rudra furious with him for intervening? The thought sent a jolt of fear through her. She couldn't abandon Shaurya, but how could she bring him up without angering Rudra?

Lost in her thoughts, Pihu didn't realize Rudra was speaking.

"Pearl," he said gently, his voice laced with concern, "you should sleep. You need rest."

His words brought her back to the present. Steeling herself, she decided to face the truth. "Rudra," she began, her voice barely a whisper, "where... where is Shaurya?"

Pihu's question hung heavy in the air, a stark contrast to the rhythmic beeping of the heart monitor. Rudra's hand, which had been gently caressing hers, tightened like a vise. Every muscle in his jaw clenched, and a flicker of something dangerous flared in his eyes. He understood her concern, the silent worry for her friend echoing in her weak voice.

But admitting Shaurya's fate right now was like poking a hornet's nest. The memory of Claire's frantic call, Pihu missing from the restaurant, still sent a jolt of rage through him. He'd promised himself then that she wouldn't defy him again. He'd tracked her with the locket, the one with the family picture, a constant reminder of his control. Finding her with Shaurya had been the final straw.

But looking at Pihu, pale and vulnerable, the anger simmered down to a low, dangerous heat. He couldn't unleash his fury on her, not now. Not when she was so fragile, so dependent on him.

Taking a deep, steadying breath, Rudra forced a smile, albeit a strained one. "Shaurya," Rudra began, his voice a low rumble that sent shivers down Pihu's spine despite the warmth of his hand in hers. "He's safe. Taken care of." The words were clipped.