Chapter-31

Author's POV,

After Rudra left for his office, the room felt like a sanctuary to Pihu, a place where she could momentarily escape the opulence and unfamiliarity of the mansion. She spent the morning alone, her fingers caressing the delicate locket that held a treasured photo of her family. It was her lifeline, a source of both comfort and heartache.

As the sun climbed higher in the sky, casting a warm glow through the curtains, Pihu's thoughts remained fixed on the locket. The room was silent except for the soft ticking of a nearby clock, a constant reminder of the passing hours.

As noon approached, there was a gentle knock on the door, and it slowly swung open, revealing Madhu with a tray of delicious-smelling food in her hands. Her eyes held a mixture of sympathy and understanding as she looked at Pihu.

"Pihu, my dear," Madhu began softly, "it's lunchtime. I've brought your meal. Come, you must be hungry."

Pihu's gaze, which had been locked on the locket, shifted to Madhu. She was hesitant to speak, her voice fragile, but she nodded in agreement, unable to deny the food as Rudra's clear warning echoed in her mind.

Madhu placed the tray carefully on the small table near the window, creating a makeshift dining spot for Pihu. She arranged the dishes with care, and the aroma of the freshly prepared meal began to fill the room.

As Madhu worked, Pihu moved toward the table where Madhu was arranging her lunch. She watched Madhu's action, finally found her voice, though it quivered with emotion. "Thank you, Aunty."

Madhu kindly smiled and stood beside Pihu, ready to serve her if needed. As Pihu prepared to eat, she extended an invitation. "Aunty, please, sit and eat with me."

Madhu hesitated for a moment, but Pihu insisted, "Please, I don't like to eat alone."

With a warm smile, Madhu agreed and took a seat beside Pihu. They began to eat their lunch together, and as they enjoyed the meal, Madhu's eyes fell upon the locket that held a precious family photo.

Madhu couldn't help but inquire, "Are these your family members in the photo?"

Pihu's eyes lit up at the question, and she responded with a hint of cheerfulness, "Yes, it's a photo of my parents and brothers."

Pihu, wanting to shift her thoughts from her own predicament, turned the conversation towards Madhu. "What about your family, Aunty?"

A small smile formed on Madhu's lips as she began to share a glimpse of her own family. "I have a son, a daughter-in-law, and a 2-year-old granddaughter."

For half an hour, they shared stories of their families, and Pihu found solace in their conversation. She momentarily forgot about her own sadness as she immersed herself in Madhu's anecdotes. Madhu spoke fondly of her granddaughter, describing how the little one loved to play and how her smile could make even the hardest days better.

As Madhu mentioned having to return to work, a sense of reality began to creep back into Pihu's thoughts. The small smile that had adorned her lips faded, replaced by a furrowed brow.

Then, a question arose in her mind, one that had been nagging at her since she arrived here. She felt a need to ask, to understand, even if it meant confronting uncomfortable truths. Without thinking too much, she inquired hesitantly, "Did you... do you know anything about Rudra or his past, Aunty?" Her voice quivered with both curiosity and apprehension.

Madhu's reluctance to reveal Rudra's past was palpable. She hesitated, her eyes reflecting the inner turmoil she felt about sharing such sensitive information. Pihu's pleading and her promise not to inform Rudra, however, seemed to sway her decision.