Chapter-40

Author's POV,

In the evening, after resting and freshening up, Pihu heard a knock on her door. Opening it, she found Claire standing there, her belly supported by her hands and a charming smile on her face. "Can I come inside, Pihu?" she asked.

Pihu nodded, smiling faintly. "Please, come in."

As Claire entered, a maid followed with a trolley of snacks, setting up a table on the balcony. Claire said, "I know you must be hungry after waking up, so I brought these. If you want anything else, just let me know."

As they sat on the balcony, the warm glow of the setting sun casting a golden hue over the surroundings, Pihu couldn't help but admire the view. The cityscape stretched out before them, bustling with life yet serene in its own way.

The maid set out a delightful array of French snacks on the table. There were flaky, buttery croissants, freshly baked and still warm, served with a selection of jams and preserves. A plate of assorted cheeses offered a mix of flavors and textures, from creamy brie to sharp Roquefort.

Claire poured them each a cup of fragrant tea and a steaming cup of rich, aromatic coffee. The tea was a delicate blend of herbs and flowers, while the coffee had a deep, earthy flavor that lingered on the palate.

As Pihu sampled a bit of everything, savoring the flavors and the relaxed atmosphere. Claire took a sip of her tea and leaned back in her chair, a thoughtful expression on her face. "So, tell me about yourself, Pihu."

Pihu, caught off guard by Claire's question, nearly choked on her bite of croissant. The unexpected warmth in Claire's eyes, devoid of fear or judgment, sent a wave of emotions crashing through her. It was the first genuine conversation she'd had in weeks, she had interacted with someone who wasn't intimidated by Rudra's shadow, someone who genuinely wanted to know about her.

"Me?" she echoed, her voice barely a whisper, as if testing the sound of her own name after months of forced silence.

A kaleidoscope of emotions swirled within her: relief, apprehension, and a flicker of something akin to hope. For so long, she had been guarded, her voice a mere whisper in the face of Rudra's imposing presence. But here, with Claire's warm smile and kind eyes, a part of her yearned to shed the mask, to share a piece of herself, however small.

Claire, her eyes twinkling with warmth, reached out and placed a gentle hand on Pihu's. "Yes, you," she said softly. "Tell me about your life in India, your dreams, your aspirations.

Hesitantly, Pihu began, "There's not much to tell, really. I lived in Varanasi with my family before moving to Mumbai for my studies. I pursued my MBA there." Her voice trailed off, the weight of her current situation threatening to overwhelm her.

As they continued their conversation, Pihu found herself drawn in by Claire's warmth and genuine interest. She spoke about her life in India, her family, and her dreams for the future, weaving a narrative that revealed parts of her life but carefully avoiding the details about her forced marriage to Rudra.

Claire, in turn, shared stories of her life with Laurent, her experiences as the wife of a mafia boss, and the challenges and joys that came with it. Then, with a mischievous twinkle in her eye, she began to share a particularly amusing story.

"Did you know, Pihu, when Laurent and I first met, we didn't like each other at all?" Claire began, a smile playing at the corners of her lips.

She continued,"I remember the day I went to Laurent's mansion for the party where he was to be announced as the next heir of the French mafia. My father, being one of the biggest gangsters in France, saw this as the perfect opportunity for me to settle down. According to their family tradition, the king, or leader, has to choose a partner when they ascend. My father thought Laurent was the perfect candidate."