39.

Sage

"What is this new sense of freedom I'm feeling!" Jada jokes as we walk out of our last ever fifth year class. We've officially finished today, December 20th.

"I know! It's like the airs lighter." I laugh continuing on the joke as we walk towards the exit.

When get outside the pair of us stop and just smile at each other. We hug, holding each other for a few seconds.

"I'm so proud of us." Jada grabs my hand.

"Me too!" I beam. Life finally feels like it's back on track. Back with my brother, Wes and I are doing great, and I finally feel safer, like I can actually sleep without worrying.

Jada and I walk out of oxfords gates for the last time until January.

"Officially one year left!" She sighs contently.

"Can't even believe it." I shake my head, still in disbelief that her and I will nearly be done with our degree. That this time next year we'll be graduating, after six years.

Jada stops in front of me as we get out of the gate.

"We need a celebratory dinner in the new year." She points a warning finger at me.

"Yes! Definitely!" I agree.

She checks her phone, eyebrows raised a little.

"Shit, gotta go so I can beat the traffic and make it up to my parents in Doncaster." She tells me. Puts her phone away and looks up at me.

"Have a lovely Christmas and new year!" Walks over arms outstretched and pulls me into a hug.

"You too! I'll see you in January!" I say into her shoulder. My voice muffled as we hug.

"Bye!" She pulls away, re-adjusting her tote bag over her shoulder.

"Bye!" I reply watching as she gives me a small wave before rushing away to her car.

I start my own journey to my own car. Or Ray for that matter. Turn back to look at the gates of Oxford I won't have to see for a good few weeks. Smile at it as I walk away. Feeling proud of myself for getting through another year.

Get to Ray with a big smile on my face. He has one of his own. Very pleased to see me.

"Smashed another year." He smiles proudly.

"That I did." I shoot him a knowing smile.

"So proud of you kiddo!" He walks towards me and hugs me.

"Thanks Ray." I smile contently as I hug him back.

He opens the car door for me and I slip in.

The drive feels different as we make our way home. Good different. Dare I say I feel really happy. Life's coming together. Hopefully all of the bad days can be put behind me.

"Honestly so proud of you Sage." Ray comments as we both get out of the car that's now parked on my driveway.

"Thanks." I smile appreciatively.