Milk For The Bones

It was as they drove across the Potomac river that they ran into their second problem. Just behind them was a sleek, black military model helicopter just like the one at Westover Hall. 

"They know the van," (Y/N) said. "We have to find another source of transportation." 

Zoe swerved into the fast lane. The helicopter was gaining.

"Maybe the military will shoot it down," Grover said hopefully. 

"The military probably thinks it's one of theirs," Percy said. "How can the General use mortals, anyway?" 

"Mercenaries," Zoe said bitterly. "It is distasteful, but many mortals will fight for any cause as long as they are paid." 

"But don't these mortals see who they're working for?" Percy asked. "Don't they notice all the monsters around them?"

Zoe shook her head. "I do not know how much they see through the Mist. I doubt it would matter to them if they knew the truth. Sometimes mortals can be more horrible than monsters."

 Wasn't that the truth. 

The helicopter kept coming, making a lot better time than they were through D.C. traffic.Thalia closed her eyes and prayed hard. 

"Hey, Dad. A lightning bolt would be nice about now. Please?"

But the sky stayed grey and snowy. No sign of a helpful thunderstorm.

"There!" Bianca said. "That parking lot!"

"We'll be trapped," Zoe said.

"Trust me," Bianca said. Zoe shot across two lanes of traffic and into a mall parking lot on the south bank of the river. They all got out and left the van, following Bianca down some steps.

"Subway entrance," Bianca said. "Let's go south. Alexandria."

"Anything," Thalia agreed. 

(Y/N) bought tickets and they got through the turnstiles, looking behind for any signs of pursuit. A few minutes later they were safely aboard a southbound train, riding away from D.C.As their train came above ground, (Y/N) could see the helicopter circling the parking lot, but it didn't come after them. Grover let out a sigh. 

"Nice job, Bianca, thinking of the subway."

Bianca looked pleased. "Yeah, well. I saw that station when Nico and I came through last summer. I remember being really surprised to see it, because it wasn't here when we used to live in D.C."

Grover frowned. "New? But that station looked really old."

"I guess," Bianca said. "But trust me, when we lived here as little kids, there was no subway."

Thalia sat forward. "Wait a minute. No subway at all?"

Bianca nodded. No, no, no, they couldn't find out now. Hades said that they weren't his responsibility, but as demi-gods he was naturally instinctive to protect them. Their lineage was a secret to be kept at all costs. 

"Bianca," Zoe said. "How long ago..." Her voice faltered. The sound of the helicopter was getting louder again.

"We need to change trains," (Y/N) said, loudly. "Next station." 

Over the next half hour, all (Y/N) could think about was keeping the youngster safe. They changed trains twice. No one had any idea where they were going, but after a while the helicopter was lost and they were safe.Unfortunately, when they finally got off the train they found themselves at the end of the line, in an industrial area with nothing but warehouses and railway tracks. And snow. Lots of  snow. It seemed much colder here, not that it affected (Y/N) of course. Percy also seemed quite comfortable in his lion skin. They wandered through the railway yard, looking for some sort of transport, but all the carts were snowed down and the warehouses abandoned. A homeless guy was standing at a trash-can fire. Despite the son of Asclepius practically glowing, they must've looked pretty pathetic,because he gave a toothless grin and said, "Y'all need to get warmed up? Come on over!"