The Godstone book 1: The escape to Alvheim chapter 19

Meanwhile, Delar and Tharal had arrived at Calian, the city of the forest elves.

Calian wasn't as golden as Aldeigjuborg, but it was beautiful in its own way. The forest elves were a people who loved nature. They always dressed in the colors of the forest, and all the houses in the city were shaped to blend in with the surroundings.

The trees around Calian were mighty, larger than those in the realm of the light elves, shaped by the most powerful of the forest elves' magicians. Among the roots, as tall as the tallest tower in the city of the light elves, lay the headquarters of the guardians. Along the massive trunks, beautiful colonnades with stairs shaped like leaves were built, and atop the mighty tree crowns lay the city itself.

All the buildings merged with the huge branches, adorned with greenery and shiny crystals in a beautiful harmony. Between the different treetops were hanging bridges, and at the city's four corners stood watchtowers.

Delar and Tharal were led to the king's house in the city center. The two princes were well received by king Margan, and after exchanging polite greetings, the king showed them to two vacant chairs by the fireplace. A servant approached and served them wine, and after he had withdrawn, the king said:

«My heart is relieved that the high king will help us in our distress.»

«Your Highness,» Delar replied politely. «Delois has briefed us roughly on the problem. But it's not enough. If we are to find out what has happened, we need to know more. Delois has mentioned that king Melka has accused you of kidnapping his daughter.»

King Margan smiled gravely.

«I understand. Shortly after my son was taken away, we received a message from king Malka. He is indeed concerned about his missing daughter, but he is not the one who has made these accusations and attacked us.»

«Then who was it?» asked Delois.
«His brother, Kaelkan. Kaelkan is the high priest of the nagai, and because of his cunning way of exploiting others' fears, the fanatical high priest is gaining more followers than king Malka.»

«So it's actually Kaelkan who is your enemy?» asked Delar.

«Alas, yes.»
«But what about king Malka himself? Has he said anything about this matter?»

«Yes, he has. But he is as distraught as we are over Princess Kira's disappearance. He is still the good and wise man he has always been, but he is afraid of his elder brother. He fears that Kaelkan will try to take the throne from him if he doesn't comply with his wishes.»

Delois stood by her father's side.
«The friendship between us and the nagai has lasted since we came to Alvheim many years ago. King Melka's daughter Kira is a very good woman and she is well-liked by all our people. There is no one here in Calian who would do anything to disrupt the peace.»

«Rest assured, Delois,» said Delar seriously. «I believe you, and I believe in your father. But something has gone wrong. Princess Kira is missing, and the peace is shattered. We need to find out what has happened, and quickly, before more innocents suffer.»

The king was about to say something when a servant entered. He whispered something to the king, and Margan nodded. The servant withdrew, and shortly after, a tall elf entered. He was dressed in golden robes befitting the priests of the god Mitas, and on his chest, he wore a golden sun. The mark of the god-king.

«Welcome, Malas,» said the king. The priest greeted politely. And after Margan had introduced Delar and Tharal to him, Malas said:

«I apologize, Your Majesty, but I'm afraid I bring bad news. The great Mitas warns us. In a cunning way, the princess of darkness has managed to sneak through Alvheim's magical barrier.»