The Godstone book 1: The escape to Alvheim chapter 18

Some of the outlaws had come across the place where Gorm had left Miri and her mother when he went to find the outlaw's camp.

Gorm's two servants were killed, and both women were pulled down from their horses.

But what the outlaws did not know was that inside the dark forest, there were other creatures. Twelve pairs of glowing eyes watched the outlaws, and just as they were about to tie up the two women and drag them away, they were ambushed.

Tiny poison darts were blown from small tubes, and the outlaws fell dead without a sound.

When Gorm and the other outlaw's arrived at the place, they found five dead men on the ground. Both Miri and her mother were gone.

The outlaws had heard legends of subterranean spirits in the forest, and when they saw that their comrades were dead without wounds, and that there were no traces of the women and attackers, they were filled with fear.

They retreated to the camp and after doubling the guard, a meeting was held between Gorm and the outlaws' deputies. The outlaws shared about their life in the wilderness, and in return, Gorm revealed everything he knew about the elves.

It was decided that as soon as the next day dawned, they would all move back to the secret main camp in Mentorfjellet for the restless time spent down in the lowlands, always on guard and in fear of persecution, had made the outlaws weary.

Now they only wished for peace, to nurse their wounds, and enjoy the treasures they had managed to claim during the countless raids.

Deep in the forest, where Gorm and the outlaws could not find them, sat lady Ingegjerd and her daughter, shaking with terror.

Around them stood a small group of tall, thin figures. They had cat-like faces, and their skin was black. They were mostly naked except for a simple loincloth around their waists.

They murmured softly in an incomprehensible language while staring at the two women with yellow eyes.

Both Ingegjerd and Miri had been terrified when these unknown beings attacked the outlaws. Both women had been sedated, and while they were unconscious, the strangers had taken them to a secluded mountain cave.

«Who are you?» asked lady Ingegjerd anxiously. She felt her heart pounding in her chest. Were the unknown beings friendly or were they dangerous?

A small, hunched figure made its way through the tall cat-like beings. It stopped right in front of lady Ingegjerd and Miri.

Lady Ingegjerd held Miri close to her, while also trying to protect her with her body. The unknown looked at her, then, with a hesitant movement, the silent figure lifted its head.

When lady Ingegjerd saw his face in the light from the torches on the cave wall, she nearly screamed out loud. She placed one hand over her lips and leaned forward. The stranger's face was severely damaged, but among all the scars, Ingegjerd could discern some familiar features.

«Oh gods!»she whispered with an unsteady voice. «Is it really you? Ciarin?»
Ciarin bowed his head.
«My lady.»

The dwarf Ciarin had been lady Ingegjerd's loyal servant and friend ever since she and her small family came to Alvheim.
Lady Ingegjerd's eyes welled up with tears, and she struggled to articulate her feelings.

«But,» she said. «Oh, Gorm said you were dead!»

«That's what he wanted you to believe,» Ciarin replied gravely.

«I was with him the day he killed The Golden Unicorn. He had heard from a witch that the blood of the unicorn was the path to eternal life. Of course, that was just a lie, but Gorm chose to believe it. My lady might remember that ever since the day you arrived in Alvheim, Gorm has been obsessed with the notion of life and death. His greatest desire was to become as powerful as the elves. To have their knowledge of everything between heaven and earth, and to master their formidable martial skills, not to mention their immortality.
As soon as Gorm had killed the unicorn, he drank its blood. Afterwards, he decapitated the animal to have it as a trophy - proof of his brave deed. Gorm obviously did not want anyone to know about this. And although I swore that I wouldn't reveal this to anyone, he did not dare to trust me. He tried to kill me, but I managed to escape. I came to the Valley of Shadows, and I have been here ever since. But I have never forgotten how kind and noble you my lady, and your daughter were to me and my family when we needed help. Ever since I came to the valley, I have been keeping an eye on both you and Gorm, and I have just been waiting for an opportunity to rescue you from Gorm's itches.»