The Godstone book 1: The escape to Alvheim chapter 11

Tharal's mother was human, and his father had been an elf of king Lysandrion's lineage. And here comes the story of how Tharal's parents met each other.

It happened in the days when light elves still lived in the west of Vanaheim.

One day, when prince Vilardo - who was a relative of king Lysandrion, was on a mission in the Westwood, he found a young girl named Eiliv sitting and crying under the shadows of the trees with a knife in her hands.

She was full of sorrow and heavy thoughts. She wished to end her life because her father wanted to force her to marry a rich nobleman that he had chosen for her.

The nobleman was both ugly, old and hunchbacked.
Eiliv did not like the nobelman. She was afraid of him and feared for her life.

But the father paid no atention to his daughter's protests.

No, Eiliv's father was only concerned with the money that the nobelman had promised to pay if he got Eiliv as his wife.

Eiliv was a kind girl who never contradicted her father. But when she found out who she was going to marry, Eiliv became very unhappy. And the thought of spending the rest of her life with a man she hated made Eiliv sick.

Eiliv tried several times to ask her father not to marry the nobelman, but then her father became enraged. With sparkling eyes, her father roared that the marriage contract would be upheld even if he had to whip her into obedience.

Overwhelmed with sorrow and despair, Eiliv ran into the forest.

Vilardo found her just as she had cut her wrists, and with his magical abilities, he managed to stop the bleeding.

Eiliv wasn't horrified to meet an elf, for she and her mother belonged to the group among humans who were friends with the "nature spirits".

When Vilardo heard what had happened, he felt sorry for Eiliv, and he took her with him to the elves' realm.

Eiliv found a good life among the "nature spirits," and as time went by, her heart was filled with love for the noble beautiful elf who had saved her life.

Fortunately, Vilardo felt the same way about her. They got married and they had a son together, Tharal.

But when Tharal was two winters old, tragedy struck. Prince Vilardo tried to create peace between the elves and humans.

He decided to meet with the human earl Golrath, who was his people's worst enemy, and with a chest full of gold, silver, and gemstones, Vilardo tried to make the earl understand that he wanted friendship with the humans.

But Golrath was a very evil and greedy man. He betrayed the elves,  and as he laid his hand on the chest, he ordered his warriors to kill the elf prince and his bodyguards.

Vilardo and some of his men managed to escape, but during the escape, Vilardo was hit in the arm by a spear thrown by Golrath himself.

Vilardo was deeply unhappy with the tragic outcome of his attempt to preserve peace.

The wound Vilardo had received in his arm wouldn't heal. Vilardo lost too much blood, and shortly after, Vilardo sank into darkness and died that same night, for the spear the human earl had used had been coated with poison.

Eiliv was beside herself with grief over the loss of her husband, that she attempted to take her own life.

Vilardo's brother, prince Iskander, and his wife tried to help the poor unhappy woman as best they could, but her grief was too great, and eventually, she fell seriously ill.

Wild and insane from melancholy, sorrow, and longing, one night while all the elves slept, Eiliv went down to the riverbank, and with tears streaming down her cheeks, she walked into the water...