Chapter 8

In Mayor Tyagi’s grand manor, preparations were underway for Tara Tyagi’s extravagant 30th birthday celebration. The clock struck 10, but for the Mayor’s family, late-night parties were a norm in the city. The event was attended by Mayor Guddu Tyagi’s friends, colleagues, Tara’s friends, and their extended family.
Vihaan, accompanied by Amrita and Damien uncle, arrived at the venue. Guddu caught sight of them, and his eyes widened in surprise upon seeing Damien after a prolonged separation. Their paths had last crossed during the tragic period surrounding the deaths of Aaditya and Avani, almost twenty-five years ago.

Approaching them, Guddu warmly greeted his old friend, while Tara, adorned in a stunning black satin gown, stood beside him. Vihaan couldn’t help but be captivated by her bold elegance. In contrast, Vihaan himself donned a sleek black formal suit, creating a complementary visual harmony.

Presenting Tara with a beautifully wrapped gift, Vihaan aroused her curiosity. “What’s inside?” she inquired, eagerly awaiting the surprise. “Open it,” he encouraged.

Tara unwrapped the gift box, revealing a dazzling scarlet dress nestled within. Delighted by the choice, she couldn’t contain her excitement and embraced Vihaan. “Wow! It’s my favorite color. How did you know?” she exclaimed. Vihaan simply replied, “Just a psychological coincidence, perhaps.” With joyous hearts, they decided to join the ongoing festivities.

Amidst the jubilant atmosphere, Tara, accompanied by her father, ceremoniously cut the birthday cake. The room erupted with applause and well-wishes, while the party continued with lively music and enthusiastic snapshots capturing the star of the evening, Tara. Vihaan stood in the wine cellar, his hand wrapped around a glass of deep red wine. From a distance, he observed Damien uncle walking towards Tara, presenting her with a gift—an exquisite guitar. It appeared that Damien had requested her to play. Grateful for the thoughtful gesture, Tara expressed her thanks, her eyes gleaming with excitement. However, amidst the cheerful ambiance of the party, Vihaan sensed an underlying unease. Soon enough, Damien vanished from his line of sight, perhaps making a discreet exit.

Tara’s gaze shifted towards the guitar, her desire to play it evident. She had always harbored a fondness for guitars since childhood.

“Don’t play it,” Vihaan’s voice emerged from behind. Startled, she inquired, “What’s the matter?” He replied, “I’ll explain later, just trust me and refrain from playing it.” Confused and irritated, Tara questioned his peculiar behavior. “Why are you acting like this, Vihaan? I enjoy playing guitars,” she protested. Vihaan pleaded, “Please, for now, just don’t play it, not until I have a chance to explain.”

Angered by his persistence, Tara retorted, “Fine, take the guitar with you then.”

Vihaan stepped outside in search of Damien. Spotting him heading towards the parking area, specifically towards Vihaan’s car, he observed his every move. Damien eventually turned around, catching a glimpse of Vihaan tailing him. Without hesitation, Vihaan retrieved a pistol from his pocket.

Perplexed, Damien asked, “What’s the matter, dear Vihaan?” Vihaan’s voice trembled as he demanded an explanation, “Why did you do it?” Damien innocently replied, “Do what? I did nothing, or maybe I would have if she had played the guitar. But you, my dear, prevented our darling from strumming that melody.” He further inquired, “What was it? Which song was it? ‘Sometimes I feel like I don’t have a partner, sometimes I feel like my only friend is the city I live in, the city of angels, lonely as I am, together we cry’.”

Confused and shaken, Vihaan questioned, “Who are you?” Damien responded, “I am your Damien uncle, Vihaan. I am your Uncle Robin.” In that tense moment, Vihaan pulled the trigger, silencing Damien forever. Though the sound was muffled by the suppressor, Tara witnessed the horrifying scene. Overwhelmed with shock, she collapsed to her knees. Vihaan locked eyes with her, aware of the terror she felt. She mustered the courage to approach him, trembling with fear. Vihaan had eliminated the only witness to the truth. She confronted him, her voice trembling with disbelief, “You’re a murderer?” Vihaan calmly replied, “Please, sit in the car. I need to explain something to you.” Her tear-filled eyes hardened as she retorted, “So that you can kill me too?” Despite her attempt to break free, Vihaan gripped her hands tightly and insisted, “Just sit in the car.”

Vihaan drove them to a place known only to him. They arrived at a nearby graveyard, where only the two of them witnessed Damien David’s funeral. The headstone bore his name, along with his birth and death dates, a solemn reminder of his existence.

Vihaan began sharing his tormented past, saying, “Tara, I don’t understand what happened back then. A few months ago, someone gifted my girlfriend, or rather my fiancée, a guitar. She played a song called ‘Under the Bridge.’ Unbeknownst to her, the guitar contained an explosive device. In a matter of seconds, my entire family was reduced to dust. I lost my love.”

Tara responded, her voice filled with concern, “And now, because of that, you’re planning to kill others?”
Vihaan sighed, his voice heavy with pain, “I don’t know what’s happening to me. Every time I try to befriend or love someone, fate snatches them away from me.”
Tara reassured him, “Don’t worry, you will heal. I’ll always be here with you.”

In a moment of vulnerability, Vihaan contemplated the possibility and replied, “What if?”
Curious, Tara asked, “What do you mean?”
Vihaan hesitated, then responded, “Never mind.”
Tara assured him, “Don’t worry, nothing will happen to me. I’m by your side, always.”
Vihaan nodded in agreement, saying, “Okay.”
Realizing the concern of their loved ones waiting for them, Tara suggested, “Everyone must be worried. We should go back now.”

Just as they prepared to leave, rain began to pour, drenching them within seconds. Tara’s meticulously styled hair became wet, and noticing her discomfort, Vihaan swiftly removed his jacket and draped it over her. Two figures stood beneath the jacket, locked in a gaze that held a familiar essence, a scene reminiscent of countless stories.
They looked into each other’s eyes, unaware of the emotions surging within them. Their connection was unspoken yet profound. Was it love or circumstance that drew them together? Only time would reveal the truth. In that moment, they shared a kiss under the dark skies and heavy rain. The experience felt simultaneously awkward and comforting. Vihaan carried the weight of guilt and remorse on his face.
Breaking the silence, Vihaan apologized, his voice filled with regret. Tara responded with understanding, saying, “It’s okay, don’t worry. I’m here for you.”
Were they truly in love, or were they merely seeking solace in one another’s presence? Was it too soon for them to embrace these emotions?
As Vihaan departed, a man approached Damien’s grave, weeping inconsolably. Tara tenderly placed flowers on the grave and offered a faint smile. Though the man’s face remained obscured in the darkness, his smile was visible.

He read the name etched on the stone:
Damien Vincent David
(1960-2015)