chapter 23

Elliot

I slowly wake up to the sound of someone’s throat being cleared.

“I take it you’re the boyfriend, and she’s the wannabe.”

A young woman with raven hair and piercing blue eyes looks down at me, her lip curling up with distaste. I snap around awkwardly in search of Jolene. She’s sitting up with the duvet clutched to her chest. Whatever emotion she’s going through is new to me because I have no idea what she’s thinking. I would expect to see her offended or defensive, but she’s nearly smitten?

“Who the hell are you, and what are you doing in my bedroom?”

Jolene punches my arm, and Jacob steps forward from the hallway. Oh great, the whole cavalry is coming. Jolene and Jacob answer my question at the same time, their words overlapping as they both confirm my guess. She’s the witch.

“I'm the only hope in hell ‘pun intended’ you have of saving her... As for being in your bedroom, tough shit. My time is precious, and I got sick of waiting.” Celest barks.

The way she picks at Jolene grates on my last nerve. There’s no doubt she's full of herself.

“Do you mind leaving? We’ll be right out!” I snap. For a moment, I think she's going to challenge me. I turn my head at her brazenness. Celest shrugs and walks out toward the stairs. Jacob looks flustered as he shuts the door behind her.

“Oh, my god! I can't believe she's here. I never actually expected her to come.”

Who is this girl that’s got everyone so bent out of shape?

“She took long enough to come... why is she so stuck up?”

Jolene pauses with her shorts half on, and I catch a nice shot of her perfect cheeks.

“You're kidding, right? She’s like the golden child in the witch scene. Just to be in her presence is a blessing.”

Feels more like a grievance to me. She's a spoiled bitch and I personally won't be adding to her ego. I let Jolene walk ahead of me into the library so I can catch up with Jacob. Also, because I have a new obsession with her ass. Jacob walks beside me to whisper in my ear.

“We’ve got the ring.”

I pause in the hallway.

“For real this time? who's wearing it?”

Jacob pushes his finger to his lips.

“Shh, Jace is wearing it. Let's keep this on the down low until we know exactly what Celest is going to agree to. If she’s ready to deal today, were doing this now.”

A hard lump forms in my throat. It's good news, just suddenly. If things don’t work out. No! I can't think like that. We're going to find a way to end this before it ever gets rolling. I can feel it.

“Where is everyone?” I ask Jacob.

“On their way, Tally has excused herself from this meet... she doesn’t like Celest.”

I'm curious as to what happened, but I know it's not the time to discuss it. Jolene is already in the library when I round the corner and Celest is picking invisible lint from her black slacks while checking her watch in a pronounced way.

“You've got ten more minutes of my time.”

Jacob sighs like he’s finally had enough and walks over to Celest to pause in front of her as he stares into her eyes. I’m expecting her to freak out and demand Jacob to kneel before her and kiss her feet for making her uncomfortable. So, you can imagine my shock when they stare at each other for what feels like minutes.

Jolene jumps up and shifts her weight from right to left foot. She turns to me and whispers,

“What's happening?”

I have no idea... I shrug and place my hand on her shoulder. When she lays her head against my hand, I fall a little harder.

“Don't worry, he’s not going to hurt her.”

Jolene scoffs and half snorts. It's adorable.

“It’s not her I'm worried about.”

We both look back at them. Their dazed state is awkward, to say the least. This is just another one of the times I wonder what Jacob is. Minutes later they break contact and Celeste looks like she’s been knocked down to earth and off her pedestal. When she speaks to Jacob, it's with a certain respect that was lacking beforehand.

Too bad we can't hear what they're saying. Celeste breaks away from Jacob and approaches Jolene. I tense, unsure of what to expect.

“Keep your head clear... any useful thoughts you have will be picked up and used against you. I'll see you soon.”

Jolene nods like she perfectly understood that statement. While I'm stuck trying to decipher the reason for all of it.

“Who is she talking about?” Jolene doesn’t answer. She and Jacob exchange a look and I feel like I missed the memo. Am I the only one clueless? Jolene walks toward the window and Jacob pulls me outside the library, shutting the door.

“Sloth may be dormant, but for good reason. Its why he’s never been defeated. He’s listening to every thought she has, and if we come up with anything, he’s going to find a way around it. Right now, we have the upper hand if we keep her in the dark.”

So that’s what this is about. How is she supposed to fight this thing if it's always on the same page?

“What's the plan?”

Jacob goes silent and gives me the look.

“I can't tell you. You’re too close to her and we can't take that chance.”

Like I would slip, I don’t think I would.

“We're all going to keep our distance, to be on the safe side. Who knows if he can read us to...? I need you to keep her company and when were ready. You will be the one to take her to the underworld.”

My head snaps up and my spine goes pin straight. Why would I take her to the underworld? If we're going to meet Lucifer, it should be on neutral territory. Isn't that the safest course?

Jacob isn't looking for questions, he’s waiting for compliance. I reluctantly give it to him, no questions asked, and watch him walk away. He knows my future lays in his and my friend's hands. Hell, the whole world could.

Jolene comes up behind me and leans her head against my back.

“I guess it won’t be long now.”

I turn, taking her in my arms, and kiss her head.

“Don’t worry, you're not doing this alone.”