chapter 14

Jolene

After I left the dorm, I cut a piece of myself away and threw it into an abyss of darkness to never be seen or felt again. Days later, I realize this and try to leave, undo it all. That’s when it becomes clear. My sense of control was all an illusion. The day I met Elliot was the day my choices were taken. Maybe not by him, but he’s not innocent either.

After numerous escape attempts, Jacob finally had enough and showed me what's waiting for me if I decided to leave. Apparently, there're hundreds of creatures waiting for me to leave unprotected. They all think I'm connected to some kind of prophecy to do with Lucifer, and there's now a price on my head. Tally is thankful because of me she has some extra time with her family before she has to leave and... I can't even say it. It's too bizarre. Jacob had a visit with lucifer yesterday to explain the situation. He took Tally with him. She hasn’t left her room since yesterday. Although I feel bad for her, I'm also thankful it's not me.

I was able to talk to my aunt today, and I was expecting some extreme rescue attempt and the shock of her life. Instead, I got an apology. She admitted to me the possibility was there, but she thought I escaped my father's genes given my age. I hung up in the middle of our conversation, feeling the most betrayed by her out of everyone. Then I blew up my phone, literally in a fit of rage. Now I just feel... lost. My whole life feels like one big lie. The friends I had, my aunt, my career, everything I ever knew and worked for ripped out from underneath me. I'm thrust into a life of make-believe, danger, and uncertainty. I'm expected to accept it with a smile. Like it's no big deal. FUCK THAT! It is a big deal. I'm a person with wants, needs, and feelings. Right now, I feel rage. That’s what I’ve been feeling; bouncing back and forth between anger at my situation and self-pity that it can't be changed.

I'm tired of feeling, tonight I'm getting drunk!

“Whatchya looking for?”

I startle, peeking over my shoulder at... Grayson? Yeah, that’s his name; as I ruffle through the cupboards. He and Tally are the only ones that haven't hovered over me, asking me questions I’ve answered over and over again. Except the undertaker looking guy. He doesn’t talk much at all and I'm thankful; he’s creepy. Elliot is the worst. This is the first full hour he hasn’t checked up on me in the last two days. It's like clockwork to him. I decide to tell Grayson my plans since I'm having no luck finding anything.

“I'm going to get drunk. I'm in search of something with a high alcohol content.”

He excitedly rubs his hands together, a big smile stretching across his face. The grin is infectious and I find I'm returning it. Grayson Is definitely a looker. With his light blonde hair and dark olive skin. He's the perfect image of a poster boy for a manly cologne campaign or something. If I was being honest, I'd have to admit he’s got nothing on Elliot.

“You're never going to find anything up there. If you want the good stuff, it's in the cellar.”

I pause, shutting the cupboard.

“This place has a cellar?”

Grayson guffaws and exclaims in a dramatic tone;

“You didn't get the tour? It’s a tragedy... come with me.”

He waves me down and places a tea towel over his arm, bowing in a dramatic gesture. A genuine laugh explodes from my mouth, it's the first piece of happy I've had in days...

It takes a lot more alcohol than I'm used to before I feel it, but in no time my words slur; the syllables slamming together not so elegant.

“I think you should stop after this bottle.”