chapter 7

Elliot

She’s not in any of her classes. If not for Jacobs hired tail. I’d already be in her dorm checking on her. When school is out and I don’t see her at the track. I begin to earnestly worry. If I’m going to get past her tail, I’ll need a distraction. I’ve been looking all day for someone similar in looks, but there’s no one like her. She’s one of a kind. There is one more way, but it’s risky, desperate times.

While pushing the numbers, I come up with the right words and hope for the best. I’m barked at before I even say a word, bad move.

“I told you this would happen! What is wrong with you?”

Grinding my teeth, I pray to the gods for patience.

“It’s a long story, Grayson, and one I’m not keen on sharing. Listen, I need you to call-”

“Nope! Not a chance! I’m under strict orders not to help you in any way. We all are. Unless your life is in danger. Is it?”

Unbelievable, I hang up and set my ass down in the grass, waiting like the chump in the car.

Two hours later, she strolls out, looking exhausted. Her first stop is the coffee shop. How she can wait in a line for twenty-five minutes for a bun and coffee is beyond me. Humans are odd creatures, so little time, and they waste it easily. On second thought… I go stiff as a board, watching her devour the bun. She stops every so often to lick the melting frosting; her little pink tongue rapidly sweeps across the sides, working the thick cream expertly. When she sucks her fingers clean, her eyes roll back in pleasure at the taste. My claws sink into the tree in front of me, horns straightening. It’s all too easy to imagine her sucking something entirely different, and the vision has me painfully aroused. I look back in the direction of Jacob’s tail and stop dead in my tracks. Two Sanskrit demons are staring directly at her. Now, what would those slimy bastards want with a witch? Some bodyguard he is, he didn’t even notice, too busy on his phone. I hope Jacob isn’t paying him by the hour.

Shit, she’s on the move, and so are the Sanskrit’s. Jolene stops and looks around as if sensing the three sets of eyes that are focused on her. She walks out and heads in the opposite direction from her dorm. For fuck sakes… she’s drawing them out. I don’t know whether to be impressed or disappointed, but the situation just got worse. My anger rises as Jacob's guy sits still, completely unaware of the danger she’s in. I follow behind, far enough of a distance for them not to sense me but close enough to kill them if they touch a hair on her head. The useless fucker in the car rolls up behind, completely unaware of the situation, and distracts me. I turn to see the bigger Sanskrit sprawled on top of Jolene while the other begins creating a portal. Running full tilt, I throw one dagger at the Sanskrit landing it between his eyes; the portal evaporates instantly. I use my other dagger to sever the head from the remaining Sanskrit, watching it roll on the ground in front of her. It all occurs in the matter of seconds, leaving Jolene in a shocked state. Her high-pitched cry is delayed as she scrambles back from the severed head.

I try to find the words to calm her, but I’m at a loss. We can’t stay here. Sanskrit's are one of the few demons that sense deaths of their kind. Within minutes, the area will be crawling with them. I move for her arm and she jumps back, startled.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

I turn to the unfamiliar voice.

“Your still here? Run along before I tell Jacob how incompetent you really are!”

I’m still going to tell him, but this guy doesn’t know that. The fucker actually hesitates like it’s his decision until finally conceding.

“Jolene?”