chapter 17

Elliot

“No, it's not possible. I'm not mated to death. There’s not a mean bone in her body.”

I’m in the library reeling over the conversation we had with Mathilda. 

“She’s not death. He's just lying dormant in her.” Jacob says matter-of-factly. I hate his calm reserve. For once, I wish he would just get mad.

“Then get him out!” I demand. Even though I know if there was a way, we would already be on it. That’s what scares me. Jacob’s sympathetic expression seems to turn that fear into anger.

“It doesn’t work like that”

“Then how does it work?” I snap. Jacob throws his hands in the air, shaking his head.

“I don’t know, I’m hoping the elder will.”

We both look toward the frail woman in the dark red robe as she Jots note after note. Jacob mumbles to me under his breath.

“At least this one’s not blind.”

Normally, that would make me laugh, but I’m too keyed up.

“So, elders are like a witches oracle?”

Jacob sighs, tilting his head toward the door. We step outside into the hallway.

“Not exactly. Elders can’t see the future or the past. They can, however, scour the earth; amongst other things, for information.”

An ancient Google. That’s not weird at all. Bad enough, they don’t talk. I’d hate to see a blind one. All I can hope is that the elder isn’t writing gibberish.

“So, kill me then!”

What the fuck? That’s Jolene’s voice. I move toward the stairs, and Jacob stops me with a look. I know he’s not suggesting I give her privacy.

“Fuck that! You heard what she said.”

I stand at the bottom of the stairs, directly below her.

She’s crying, her sniffles carry down the hall. My body aches for her, my need to comfort her causing me physical pain.

“It's not that easy. It wouldn’t make a difference now that he’s active.”

The way Mathilda says active has my skin crawling. I ought to throw her out. Does she not hear the insult in her words?

“Oh, that’s real nice! It would be easy to off me?”

My heart aches for her. I can hear the pain in her voice and I feel it in my chest, as if it’s my own.

“You have to realize what’s at stake… the whole world, Jolene. Billions of innocents… children.”

I cannot believe the guilt this woman is shoving down her throat. I stand at the bottom of the stairs, uselessly waiting.

“I have to go… get your hands off me!”

I hear a thump. Jolene must have pushed her, good.

“You can’t leave here.” the old hag cackles.

The door opens and I slip back under the stairs, covered by shadows.

“Maybe so, but I can get the fuck out of your face!”

The door slams so hard I’m convinced it shattered. I watch her retreat to the basement on wobbly legs.

“don't.”

Jacob stops me with a firm hand on my shoulder.

“Someone needs to put her in her place, I'm someone.” I tell him, shoving my thumb into my chest.

“It will only make matters worse between them and she’ll resent you.”

Fuuuuck! I know he’s right, but I can't leave it alone. I swallow my anger and change direction. Jacob nods approvingly and I give him the middle finger, not at all impressed with his candor, even though I know he’s right. This waiting is the worst part. Me, Jacob Estevan and Tally are the only ones staying put. Everyone else is out either retrieving information or helping in some way. Still, I couldn’t leave Jolene, and I'm glad I didn't. Her pain is palpable....

I find her heaving on the bench. She must have beaten that bag until she couldn’t feel anymore. Her knuckles are swollen and bleeding. It just drives Mathilda's point home, which pisses me off to no end. If she was truly a phoenix, her hands would heal in seconds. I don’t give a shit what she is, she's still mine.

“Leave me alone!”

I don’t. Instead, I sit beside her on the bench, wrapping my arms around her slight frame. She turns towards me, accepting my embrace, and her shoulders begin to shake. She feels so right in my arms. Tightening my grasp, I kiss her on her head and tell her it will be okay, even though I’m not all that sure. I clasp her hands and place gentle kisses to each one of her swollen knuckles.

I sense her shift from grief to arousal, and stiffen instantly. Jolene pulls back, looking into my eyes, and begins to unbutton her blouse. I know it's coming from the wrong feelings, but my reaction is instinctive. The soft blue flannel falls from her shoulders to the floor. And I'm speechless. Her breasts are achingly perfect, the dusty rose nipples rising to attention. My teeth sharpen the same time my arousal pulses in protest to my thoughts.

I know this isn't right I don’t want our first time to be for the wrong reasons. I want her to want me because she can't stand not to. Not for any other reasons, as complex as they may be. Stop is on the tip of my tongue but it floats away like a petal in the wind the moment she slips off her shorts. My mouth waters at her obvious arousal, soaking through her simple cotton underwear. Her scent has my horns straightening as I breathe deeply, nostrils flaring. Then she does the unthinkable. She straddles me, her tiny hands cupping my horns as her slick flesh glides across my hard length. I buck, lifting us both out of the chair. Her heat penetrates past the thin barrier of my sweats, and I'm so fucking thankful I was too lazy to put on boxers.

I hear her talking it takes longer to register the words, I've never been so aroused and I haven't even tasted her... been inside her. Wait, did she say? My eyes pop open and I lift her off a little rougher than I mean, too. I'm short-winded, mindless with arousal, but I know I heard her right. She asked me to take her virginity, said she didn’t want to die a virgin.