chapter 13

Elliot

I feel like an idiot standing outside my room, unsure if I can go in. She ran from the hallway directly here. The sound of her muffled cries carries through the thick wood. My stomach churns at her despair, but I'm useless in these situations. I never know what to say. Before I realize I'm doing it, I knock on the door.

“Go away!”

Pain laces her voice. I drop my head against the barrier, feeling her sorrow as if it's my own. After I explained the circumstances of Tallys predicament, our predicament. She went cold on me. The devil and angle's part is where I lost her and then telling her what we have to do seemed to push her over the edge. Too much too soon? I shouldn’t have told her just yet, but I didn’t want any secrets anymore. I know how destructive they can be. I focus on one problem at a time, and I know what happened in the hallway scared the shit out of her.

“It won't always be like this, you know. Eventually, you'll learn to control it, and today will be a distant memory we will laugh at.”

She answers between muffled cries.

“I seriously doubt that!”

I place my hand on the knob and ask;

“Can I come in?”

There's a long pause. Her crying has simmered down to a few short sniffles before she answers.

“It's your room.”

It’s good enough of an invitation for me. I ease open the door and walk in. Her face is buried in my pillow, and I sit on the bed silently. Just being near her puts me in a better mood.

“I feel like I'm living a nightmare.”

She talks with her head still in the pillow, but I hear every word. I can't imagine what she feels. I was raised knowing exactly who I was and what I would become.

“You just need time... to adjust.”

Jolene pops up, turning to me. She's no longer upset but angry. I think that’s a stage in acceptance. I rack my brain, trying to remember the stages, but come up empty.

“All the time in the world can't change the fact I'm a freak!”

Is that how she views it? Well, I'll have to change that. I tuck a golden lock behind her ear, letting my fingers brush her cheek. The innocent touch stirs my arousal. Down, boy, not right now.

“You're not a freak... you 're magnificent.”

She scoffs, answering.

“Coming from a fellow freak... at least you don’t burn things.”

I hold back laughter. I'm afraid if it slips, she’ll throttle me.

“You could have horns.”

Her eyes glance up to the black lengths just visible over my ruffled hair.

“I don’t have control over them sometimes, either.”

Her eyes light at my admission.

“Really?”

When I realize it's helping, I get into more details.

“Oh yeah, all the time. When I'm angry, they sharpen curling up on the ends. When I'm in extreme distress, they drip poison that could kill an enemy.”

Her fascination spurs me on.

“They're always in the way. I've torn shirts and pillows without even knowing.” I don’t tell her that was long ago before I got used to them. She’s enjoying the profession too much.

“When I'm ah... aroused, they straightened.”

Her eyes flicker up, then away quickly. I can tell she's recalling the morning in the hotel. When we shared the hottest kiss I've ever had. Her thighs clench; an easy tell she's aroused and my horns react. Fuck! Why did I tell her that? I just got caught up. Happy something I said was making her feel better. I try to picture something; anything to tamp down my arousal but with her scent so close and the memory of her lips on mine, her giving flesh beneath my fingertips... Jacob in a bikini!... Ah, there we go. I feel them return. Thank you, Jacob.

“That girl, Tally. Is she... okay?”

Not in the slightest. I brush my hand against hers. The contact is a ray of light in my darkened mind.

“She will be... this is an isolated event.” For now, but I don’t share that part. Oracles and prophecies aside. The heavens and lucifer can put us in any situation they want, at any given time, and there's nothing we can do about it. The uncertainty is maddening. Things used to be simpler. There was a time we forgot either side existed because they were never seen or heard. Now, with each side at war and us in the middle... we’ve become their puppets. A tool at their disposal they used to strike at each other when the desire emerges. It all started with a favor. That was their window, and it was no doubt their meddling is what created the problem that led to the said favor. A well thought out elaborate plan that landed us here. The heavens can say it's for a just cause, and lucifer can try to justify his revenge but were onto both sides and tired of being their puppets. I'm beginning to understand Rapheal's position because they were in the same one. Could he be a victim in all of this? He’s far from innocent. The list of wrongs leading up to his fall and after is longer than my arm. But... did it all start like this? Are we destined to end like him? A bitter fragment of who we used to be, staying hidden; just trying to survive.

“So, she has to marry the devil or kill everyone?”

Her question pulls me from my drifting thoughts, and when her words register, I laugh loudly at the simple reasoning.

“Not exactly. We don’t know any of the specifics, but essentially, if these events don’t take place, we all die.”

She scoffs, rolling her eyes.

“That's insane. Why do you believe that garbage?”

That’s a long story for another day, but I give her the conclusion we’ve all come to.

“it's been proven before... Listen, why don’t we go get some of your stuff and bring it back here before it gets dark.”

Wrong thing to say; apparently. I gaze stupefied as her emotions play out. Her skin begins to redden, and I rush to ease her.

“Woah, woah... Jolene, calm down. What's wrong?”

She shakes her head, getting up to pace.

“It's all too much too fast, and I can't think straight... why am I here?”

I want to tell her she's here because she's my mate and I'll never part from her again, but that would be a colossal mistake. Instead, I stick to something less concrete.

“you're in danger and newly transitioned. the best place for you is here where we can protect you and help you with any... questions or concerns at this difficult time.”

I say it seamlessly, like I ripped it out of a textbook. Jacob would be proud. It's important I don't scare her right now when she's volatile. Yet something about the statement puts her on edge. I can see it in her face.

“But if I want to go, I can, right?”

Ah, that's what it is. I should have known. Jolene isn't someone who likes to relinquish control of anything in her life, not to mention her preference for solitude.

I lie.

Even though it's the last thing I want to do, a promise I made to myself; there's no way around it.

“Of course... We're here to help.”

I watch her shoulders drop as the information settles in, calming her. Though the last statement is true, the first is impossible. Not only is it our job to protect the vulnerable. It's also our job to investigate any unlawful occurrences. Mate or no mate. She would be stuck with us for the time being. Now that she knows what she knows and will be learning more in the days to come... Jolene is obligated to stay on with us.

“OK... I'll stay for now.”

I paste a serene smile on my face for her benefit and hide my sigh of relief, having dodged that bullet.