chapter 5

Elliot

“I thought you said she wasn’t a witch. That it was false information.”

Jacobs beyond angry, and I stumble on my words, trying to determine how I'm going to explain without sounding like a liar?

“I didn’t investigate thoroughly, I guess.”

Fuck! I’m an idiot. So much for thinking on my feet. I managed to say the only thing worse than the truth. Jacob steps closer. It’s not until he sniffs the air around me that I realize what he’s doing.

“That’s it! I warned you time and time again. I don’t know what’s gotten into you, but until you can pull your shit together… you're out.”

“No! You can’t do that.” I bark.

Not now!

He sighs like he’s uncertain about his decision, but I don’t sprout hope yet.

“You’re a liability, and you know it. You're not focused, and that’s dangerous. You could cause another member’s death… How would you live with that? I couldn’t.”

I know he’s right, but with Jolene here, everything will be different. Now that I’ve witnessed firsthand the strength she harbors. Well, that changes everything. She may be human, but she’s strong. A relationship doesn’t seem like such an impossibility anymore.

“You can come back in a couple of days, and we can talk. Then well go from there… You need to get sober.”

I snap, wholly frustrated.

“It’s not like I’m drinking demon brew. It’s only alcohol. You know damn well that doesn’t affect our kind. It barely takes the edge off… What about Jolene?”

Jacob is about to ask me who that is, and I snap my answer before he can.

“The witch.” I grunt.

I can tell he’s holding on to his patience by a thread.

“What about her? We’ll have a chat, and I’ll see if she’s a good fit.”

I don’t like the sounds of that.

“And if she isn’t?”

Uh oh, he’s getting suspicious.

“What does it matter to you?” he asks.

Looking every bit as angry as I feel, I try not to grind out my words.

“It's our job to protect any member of species that is in need. Isn't it?”

Great, now I’ve piqued his interest. He folds his arms, analyzing me. Jacob's silence is never a good thing.

“If she doesn’t fit, then I’ll alert her to the danger she’s provoking.”

That’s it?

“I’ve already done that.” I say impatiently.

A quick jerk of his shoulder tells me that’s all I’m getting.

“You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink. We can only do so much before we cross the line. This situation is complex because she’s still essentially human. She will need to learn to survive in both worlds, never committing to just one… that’s not easy.”

Jacob’s words bounce around my head, making a jumbled mess. If anyone could, I know it'd be her. She’s the most bullhead, courageous female I know. Who else would look a demon in the eye and laugh at his threats? Not to mention her impeccable self-control, especially considering that ego of hers. That day in the café when she held back on that bimbo, I would never have that kind of control.