chapter 20

Jolene

For one blissful moment, I forget. It’s when I wake to Elliot’s expression, do I remember what caused me to faint.

“I guess we’re more alike than you thought.” he mumbles.

Ha, that’s a joke. He’s a damn fallen angle, and I’m the devil's spawn. Sounds like polar opposites to me.

“Yeah, real similar, you right wrongs, and I kill everything.”

Elliot’s expression turns serious, and I look away. If I think too much about it, I'll have a full-blown panic attack.

“You wouldn’t hurt anyone, Jolene… we’re going to fix this.”

I roll my eyes, completely frustrated.

“How? you can’t fix genetics. You can only destroy the holder. My mom should have gotten rid of me just for being Lucifer’s alone. Sloth is a whole other can of worms... you need to forget about me, Elliot. I’m a lost cause, and the only thing I can offer you is death.”

Elliot grips my chin and turns me toward him. I know what he’s waiting for, but I'm afraid if I look him in the eyes... I'm going to cry. Taking a deep breath, I pray I can hold it together. There’s no judgment with Elliot, and when I look at him, it's hard to look away. All I see is hope he has enough to fill a jar the size of Texas. But I can't build a future on hopes and dreams. I need to face reality.

“How could that be true? I didn’t know what living was until I met you.”

My heart melts. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that he believes every word he said, but I'm not so sure I do. Sometimes we choose someone for all the wrong reasons may be sometimes we don't get a choice at all. I didn't get to choose this life cause this sure as hell isn't the choice I would've made. I'm not going to let someone like Elliot throw his life away on me. So, I say a lie. The last lie I'll ever care to make.

“I'm sorry, I don't feel the same way.”

Hours later, those words still leave me cold. If I were a selfish coward, I may have admitted the opposite. Not this time. Mathilda was right. It's too late for me, and I'm just going to drag down anyone with me. Besides, they’ve been looking for this ring for months. I don’t have months. Weeks? Maybe, if I'm lucky. The look on his face won't ever leave my mind. He may have a broken heart, but at least he’ll be alive. Given some time, I'm sure he’ll find someone new who piques his interest. Bitch, the thought of some woman with her hands all over him has me grinding my teeth and clenching my fists.

“Knock, knock”

Amanda comes into the room with a list in her hand.

“How well do you know your covens?”

What an odd question.

“Well enough, why?”

She shrugs, placing the list down.

“Elliot's plan, well, one of them. We're going to try them all, anyway. I need the name of the ‘boss bitch’ of witches.”

I snort at the phrase. What does this have anything- oh...

“you're going to try to take her power, aren't you?” I accuse her not so subtly. Amanda smirks, shaking her head.

“Not exactly, you're going to borrow it.”

Ha, yeah right. I'd have better luck asking Lucifer to commit suicide, to protect the very beings that condemned him.

“Witches don’t lend power to anyone, it's their life line. That’s like me asking to borrow your face.” I tell her matter-of-factly, while cringing at the image my words create.

“Besides it's not a very accurate exchange and I’ve never heard of it willingly done.” I add.

All I get back is a dead stare as she taps her fingers on her folded inner arm.

“Fine, is there a Celeste Quarts on the list?” I ask.

Amanda picks the paper up, scanning the page up and down with a drag of her finger.

“With a C?”

I throw out a quick yeah. Witches are notoriously secretive. Celeste is the youngest of some of the most powerful Witches I’ve ever heard of. Her name stuck for a particular reason. Mathilda used to go to meetings that I was never allowed to attend. I always thought it was my age until Celeste. Now I know why. Another reason I supply it is because any witch worth knowing won’t ever be found. There’s no chance she’s on there. The names you pick up on the streets are from the wannabes who buy magic books at indigo and grow pet plants.

“Got it! Be ready.”

Wait, what?

I shudder and run to the hallway after her.

“You mean Celeste is on there?” I say, even though I know she is. It's just hard to believe. I begin to wonder who these people are.

Amanda stops, placing a hand on her hip, and barks.

“That’s what I said, didn’t I?”

Ouch! What’s with the attitude?

“I’m sorry…”

Snapping to attention, I do a double take. It’s not often I merit an apology. The feeling is foreign, rendering me speechless.

“I’m a little upset about Elliot. I know it’s none of my business but this hot and cold game you’re playing is tearing him up.”

It’s like no one understands the circumstances or they’re in denial. It’s happening to me! I’m supposed to be in denial.

“You do realize I’m going to become a former shell of myself and kill everyone? You are aware of the prophecy, aren’t you?”

She pauses and looks at me like it’s the first time, as if taking my measure. I begin to think she doesn’t know anything.

“There’s no such thing as a prophecy, only predictions. I wouldn’t give up just yet… it’s not my place to say but we’re all smaller pieces to a larger puzzle Jolene. We haven’t even built the edges yet.”

She walks away, leaving me stupefied. I hate analogies! That whole phrase is a riddle to me but I get the gist of it. Nothing is set in stone, so I shouldn’t give up yet. Easy for her to say. She doesn’t have an ancient thing poking around inside her head…