chapter 10

Jolene

Either these people are certifiable, or there’s an entire world Mathilda is hiding from me. This Tally chick is amazingly convincing. I’m starting to think there’s a reason I know nothing about my parents and why Mathilda avoids the subject.

According to these books and Tally's descriptions; a Phoenix is pretty badass. Rhetorically, if I was to believe her, there isn’t much that can take down a Phoenix. They can regenerate, even from death. Like ashes, death. They can heal others, light things on fire, or make them combust with a wave of a hand; mega-cool. The best part they can fly. It’s a lot to take in. If it's true and I’m one of them. I wouldn’t need Elliot to protect me. Good, that boy is dangerous. My cheeks heat at the memory of that kiss. I must be going through something because I don’t make a habit of making out with men I just met. Especially horned men. Although I have to admit I am curious. I should learn about him strictly for educational purposes. It's just common sense to know who you 're associated with.

“What about demons? Nephilim, to be exact.”

Tally smiles, her freckled nose crinkling cutely. She’s going to break a lot of hearts. She probably already has.

“Is there a reason you're interested in that particular demon?”

I know what she’s thinking. I scoff, rolling my eyes.

“Yeah, and it so not what you think.”

She shrugs, flipping through the pages.

“Here, knock yourself out. I’ve got stuff to do.”

I grasp the book and begin to read.

“Will you be okay on your own?”

I respond by lifting a thumb in the air, not taking my eyes off the text. According to this, Elliot is part angel, the fallen kind. They’re notorious for their sexual prowess and strength. Check and check. Hmm, says here they have a muddled sense of right and wrong due to their counterparts, so obvi. Their horns are linked to their… appendage. It says there is an abundance of nerves leading straight… well, I’m glad I didn’t go exploring. I keep scanning through until I come to a highlighted note. My eyes snag on the word, mate. I find the slang term odd in the ancient text. When I’m through reading the paragraph, I slam the book shut.

Mate isn’t another word for a friend. It’s the freaking definition of a soul mate. My heart thumps against my rib cage like a drum. I can hear it in my ears. The last thing I need is a fallen angel/demon hell bent on owning me for eternity. I stand, then sit back down. My first reaction is to run, but I don’t know where to go. Is there even a place in existence where he can’t find me? Besides, I’m no safer out there, the evil you know and all. Calming myself, I realize I’m probably overreacting. The book is obviously ancient. I bet the text is exaggerated, and I have to admit he’s been cool as a cucumber this whole time. 

“Hey, I've got to run quick. You good here?”

Elliot pops his head in. I jump at the intrusion, failing to school my features fast enough and end up half smiling and grimacing. I probably look like I have gas.

“Yeah, for sure. Why do you care?”

Oh my god, I don’t think I could sound more freaked out than I am now.

“Okay, sorry I asked... is something wrong?”

He folds his arms, looking me over, and I snap again; uncomfortable with his scrutiny.

“No, nothing. Why are you always in my business?”

Shit, that was rude. Uh, why do I care? I'm so confused right now. Elliot backs up, holding out his hands. When he leaves, I slam my head down on the desk, completely horrified by my reaction.

After spending a couple hours researching, my stomach begins to grumble, and I wander out into the kitchen.

It feels odd looking into a stranger's cupboards, even weirder when I don’t know how long I'll be here.

“Who are you?”

I spin around, dropping the apple from my hand. A tall, light-haired man stands at the door. He’s wearing black boots, worn blue jeans, and a green plaid button-down shirt. As loose as his shirt is, I can still see his broad shoulders and bulging pecs. Is this where all the muscle-heads hang? Jeeze, it's like good looks and testosterone are part of the membership.

“I'm with Elliot.” I tell him.

He walks further into the room, keeping his eyes glued to mine. I watch his nostrils flare as he approaches me slowly.

“Where is Elliot?”

Great, I can already tell he’s suspicious. There’s no way he believes me. Too bad someone didn’t think of that.

“Ask Tally. She and Elliot think I'm a phoenix.” I say defensively. The words sound odd coming out of my mouth. I watch as he pulls out his phone and begins texting, keeping his attention more on me than on the screen. It goes off, and his demeanor changes in an instant. My guess is that someone verified my information. His phone goes off again, and he snaps back up to me. He looks stunned.

“Welcome to the family.”

The guy engulfs me in his arms, hugging me as I awkwardly stand there, still and silent.

“Thanks?” I mutter over his shoulder. He backs up, smiling.

“You need anything, just ask.”

I stand there nodding with a stiff, awkward smile as I watch him walk away. Man, these people are weird. Washing the now bruised apple, I retreat back to the library, getting in as much info as I can before I decide what to do.