Prologue

Elliot

My body aches, every muscle still tense from the brutal fight, and I’m on a coffee run.
How… nice. Though a vacation would be better. The idea is laughable. Things are just heating up.
Fuck me, it’s busy. I step back, double-checking the sign. Yep, just a coffee shop. The place is filled with twenty-something coffee addicts looking for their next fix in a hurry, and all the tables are occupied by the tech-savvy creatures. I watch them peck away at their keyboards and phones as the rest fill the room with incessant chatter. By the time I make it to the counter, I’ve got a headache and I’m superbly annoyed. A young man in leather pants and a torn white sweater looks at me like I’m speaking French when I ask for four coffees, an earl grey tea and a French vanilla. After thirty seconds of silence, I throw my hands in the air and ask him what he’s waiting for.

“What kind of coffee, sir?”

The question catches me off guard; I have to think it over for a second.

“The kind you drink… Regular.”

Regular must be the magic word because up until then he didn’t budge.

I’ve got two trays balanced under my chin and I’m halfway through the crowd when it happens.

It's funny, I’ve waited centuries, and it’s always been in the back of my mind, but I still wasn’t prepared. When I sense her, my heart kicks up, blood flows to my cock like a freight train, and I salivate as if I’m starved for her.

Forgetting the coffee, I set the trays on a nearby table and search the shop for the source... There! A small brunette seated alone, sipping on an iced coffee. I inhale her scent, its mouth-watering. In that moment, I’m positive she’d taste like honey. I vaguely remember to Slip my glasses down to hide my reaction.

I’ve always worried my mate would be other. I never once contemplated her to be human. Didn’t even think the Gods would be that cruel. Bitterness and excitement war inside me until I’m sweating and frozen in place. The urge to steal her away and make her mine is damn near stronger than reason. What do I do? She’s human, fragile, clueless to my world, and what I am. It’s the hardest, most painful thing I’ve ever done, but I turn and walk away. That’s where it should have stopped.