Chapter 42: The Devils of Paradis

QUICK A/N: HEY EVERYONE! I JUST WANTED TO GIVE ALL OF YOU GUYS A HEADS UP THAT I HAVE CHANGED THIS STORY FROM 'X READER' TO 'X OC' TO HELP WITH THE NARRATIVE FLOW AND ALSO FOR PERSONAL, ETHICAL REASONS AS SOMEONE WHO WRITES VERY SERIOUS GRUESOME SUBJECT MATTER, I PREFER TO KEEP THE CHARACTER SEPERATE. GOING FORWARD, Y/N'S NAME HAS BEEN CHANGED IN BOTH STORIES, I ABSOLUTELY APOLOGIZE, I SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS SOONER THAN I DID. HOPEFULLY YOU DON'T THROW TOO MANY TOMATOES MY WAY LOL. ANYWHO ENJOY THE CHAPTER...

⚠️TW: HEAVY MATURE SUBJECT MATTER, PLZ READ A/N SPECIFIC TW TAGS ⚠️

------------------------------------------------------------

It's a bright and sunny day in post-war New York City in the year 1949. You're working in your coffee shop, listening to Artie Shaw on the radio as you fill coffee orders and warm sandwiches in the toaster oven. You're wearing a navy-blue polka-dot wrap dress, red lipstick, and short blue heels, your hair curled and styled from giant rollers.

"Hey dollface, another coffee over here!"

You roll your eyes and sigh under your breath before putting on your best smile. "Right away Joe!"

You walk over with your coffee pot to fill Joe and his buddies' coffees, all of them eyeing you up and down as they always do. You flush in discomfort and keep your eyes down as you fill their mugs, still trying to get used to the idea of being openly objectified in ways you haven't been since the brief period you lived alone as a silent actress during World War I. Now that you're alone again in a big city and working a humble job in a coffee shop, you must keep your eyes to the ground, try and not gain the attention of anyone, especially predatory men.

"Will there be anything else gentlemen?" you ask calmly.

"Mmm nah, just keep the coffee coming honey," Mike chuckles and pinches your ass.

You bite the inside of your lip hard enough to draw blood and give Mike your fakest smile while your eyes blaze slightly.

"Of course..."

You turn and are promptly smacked on the ass by Joe as you walk away, your cheeks burning hot in shame. You put the coffee pot down loudly on the burner and swallow hard as you try and keep your composure.

"Tommy?" you call out to one of your regulars.

"Yeah Eury?"

"Be a dear and keep an eye on the counter. I need to take five..."

"Yeah sure thing honey."

You quickly go to the washroom, locking the door as your heart beats hard and irregular in your chest. Not once, not once have they ever asked or even warned you before they've groped you. You'd never say yes if they did. In all the centuries you've been around, you'd never been manhandled, not until you came here. During the few years Arthur was away, you had a wedding ring on and that worked well enough to keep men at bay. But now, now with being in the open and working, you've made yourself more open to the public. And living alone in the city in an apartment accessible from street level, you've made yourself more vulnerable.

You hold the door knob as you try and breathe calmly but you find your breaths getting hotter and hotter from the humiliation and rage. You're a goddess, a living, breathing goddess with the power to drain oceans and bring volcanoes to a boil and you're still getting fucking groped.  You could bring this coffee shop, this entire city to its fucking knees but that wouldn't stop the fact that you've gotten groped. You glare at the mirror, trying to calm your eyes but they're glowing violet, turning a little red. You let out an angered growl and punch the mirror in full force, breaking and smashing the wall behind it.