Chapter VII

The Wondering

As Celestine and Nathan settled in to watch a movie at her place, they chatted excitedly about what genre they should choose. “Do you like horror? Romance? Sci-fi?” Nathan asked with a grin. “It’s up to you, it’s your birthday.”

Celestine pondered for a moment before deciding on a romantic comedy. “Let’s go with rom-com,” she said, smiling at Nathan. “It’s a nice change of pace.”

As the movie began to play, Celestine excused herself to the bathroom to wash her hands. As she removed the ring from her finger and washed her hands, she became lost in her thoughts. Moments later, she returned to the living room, only to find Nathan nowhere in sight.

Panic began to rise within her as she searched the apartment for any sign of Nathan. “Nathan?” she called out, her voice trembling with worry. But there was no response.

Feeling a wave of disappointment wash over her, Celestine sank onto her bed and messaged their group chat, Avi and Sally, she wrote, her fingers shaking as she typed.

(Celestine's phone)

“Hey, guys. I need to talk. Something crazy just happened.”

Avi: “Hey, Cel. What’s going on? You sound shook.”

Sally: “Spill it, girl. We’re all ears.”

"Well, Nathan and I were chilling at my place, watching a movie for my birthday. Tapos bigla nalang s’ya nawala like he straight-up vanished into thin air."

Avi: Wait, what? Vanished? Pa’no?

"I don’t know. One minute, nanonood lang kami ng movie, and then, he’s gone. Like he poofed out of existence or something."

Sally: "That’s some Twilight Zone stuff right there. Did he leave a note or anything?"

"Nah, nothing. It’s like he ghosted me. No warning, no explanation, as in walang traces."

Avi: "Damn, that’s messed up. Any idea kung sa’n siya pumunta?"

"I wish I knew. I even checked every sulok of my place. It’s like he pulled a Houdini on me."

Sally: 'Maybe he had an emergency or something? You know, like a sudden alien invasion or a zombie apocalypse."

"Haha, very funny (sarcastically said). But seriously, it’s freaking me out."

Avi: "Don’t stress too much. He’ll probably pop up with some wild excuse soon enough."

Sally: "Yeah, just hang tight, girl. We’re here for you no matter what."

"Thanks, guys. You’re the best."

Avi: "Deal. Keep us posted, okay?"

Sally: "Absolutely. We got your back, Cel."

As tears welled up in her eyes, Celestine suddenly realized that the ring was no longer on her finger. With a sinking feeling in her chest, she rushed to retrieve it from the bathroom and slipped it back onto her finger.

But as soon as the ring was in place, she heard the sound of the doorbell ringing. With a mixture of hope and trepidation, Celestine hurried to answer it, her heart pounding in her chest.