Chapter I

The Ring

Inside the classroom, Celestine was diligently working on her homework, realizing she had forgotten to complete it at her apartment amidst the rush of the morning. The sound of her name being called startled her, pulling her attention away from her task. It was Avi, her ever-enthusiastic friend, asking about her costume for their upcoming performance.

“Hoyyy, Cel! Did you already get your costume na ba?” Avi's voice echoed across the room, drawing Celestine’s gaze away from her books.

“For what?” Celestine replied, momentarily puzzled by Avi's question.

“For me,” Avi retorted with a hint of sarcasm, amused by Celestine's apparent forgetfulness.

“Huh?” Celestine's confusion deepened as she tried to make sense of Avi's words.

“Hatdog ka beh, of course for our performance next next week,” Avi clarified, her tone softening as she realized Celestine's confusion.

“Oh shoot! I forgot. Akala ko next month pa. Samahan mo ‘ko later sa thrift store ha,” Celestine replied, a hint of urgency creeping into her voice as she mentally scrambled to rearrange her schedule.

“Hmm… Try ko lang makasama, I have a mediocre busy schedule kasi eh. Si Sally nalang,” Avi suggested, referring to their classmate Sally, known for her impeccable taste and knack for finding the perfect ensemble.

“I can’t, may pupuntahan ako later eh,” Sally chimed in, her attention still focused on her phone as she scrolled through messages.

Despite the disappointment of her friends' unavailability, Celestine understood the demands of their busy schedules. With a resigned smile, she replied, “Ohh okay, I’ll go alone nalang,” determined to tackle the task on her own.

After class, Celestine went to the thrift store by herself. She was eager to find the perfect costume for their upcoming performance, and at the same time, she was excited about the prospect of discovering unique and interesting items in the store’s collection of vintage goods. As she wandered through the aisles of clothing, her eyes were drawn to the shimmering display of jewelry.

She couldn't help but feel a sense of awe as she gazed upon the intricate designs and sparkling gems. Amidst the dazzling array of accessories, one piece in particular caught her eye – a ring adorned with the small delicate engraving of the letter 'N'. The carving of the letter was so small that she didn’t even noticed it.

Captivated by its beauty, Celestine felt an inexplicable pull towards the ring, as if it were calling out to her, whispering secrets of untold mysteries. Without hesitation, she reached out and carefully picked up the ring, feeling a strange connection stirring within her.

As she slipped the ring onto her finger, a wave of warmth washed over her, enveloping her in a comforting embrace. It was a sensation unlike anything she had ever experienced before, leaving her both excited and uneasy at the same time.

With the ring now adorning her hand, Celestine couldn't shake off the feeling that her life was about to take an unexpected turn. Little did she know, fate had something extraordinary in store for her.

As she made her way towards the exit, lost in thought about her mysterious experience with the ring, she collided with a man who was also leaving the store.