Chapter VI

The Flashbacks

As Celestine sat in her room, the realization that her birthday was just a day away washed over her. She couldn’t help but feel sadness as she thought about celebrating alone. With a heavy sigh, she reached out to her friends, hoping to make plans for the next evening, but her heart sank as she received their responses.

Sally was out of town visiting relatives, and Avi was occupied with taking care of her sick grandmother. Each message felt like another blow to Celestine’s already fragile spirits. She knew her friends had valid reasons for not being able to join her, but the thought of spending her birthday without them left her feeling hollow.

Feeling a sense of loneliness creeping in, Celestine looked around her apartment, the silence weighing heavily on her. She glanced at a picture of her parents on the bedside table, a wave of longing washing over her. If only the accident hadn’t happened, she thought to herself, she wouldn’t be facing this birthday alone.

With a heavy heart, Celestine wiped away a stray tear and tried to put away the feelings of sadness. She reminded herself that she was strong and capable of finding joy even in solitude. But as she stared at the empty space around her, the emptiness seemed to grow larger, engulfing her in a sea of loneliness.

After a bitter night spent grappling with loneliness, Celestine trudged into school feeling like a shadow of her usual self. However, as she entered the classroom, she was greeted by the cheerful voices of her classmates wishing her a happy birthday. A warm feeling spread through her chest as she realized that despite her initial fears, she was valued and remembered by her peers. Even the teacher offered her a heartfelt birthday greeting, making Celestine feel a little lighter as she took her seat.

During dance practice later that day, Celestine’s spirits lifted further when she caught sight of Nathan making his way towards her. “Hey, Happy birthday pala,” he said with a warm smile, his voice sincere.

Celestine’s heart skipped a beat at his thoughtful gesture, a surge of gratitude flooding through her. “Thank you,” she replied, returning his smile.

As they chatted during a break in the routine, Celestine found herself opening up to Nathan about her plans for the evening. “Actually, mag-isa lang ako later sa birthday ko,” she confessed, feeling a twinge of vulnerability. “But I was thinking of watching movies nalang later and letting my self relax.”

Nathan’s expression softened with empathy as he listened to her words. “That sounds nice,” he replied, his eyes reflecting genuine understanding. “Actually, wala rin akong plans for tonight. How about pumunta ako sa place mo at samahan kita manood ng movies.”

Celestine’s heart swelled with gratitude at Nathan’s offer. “Really? I’d love that!,” she said, a genuine smile spreading across her face. “Thank you, Nathan.”