Chapter IV

The Closure

During the lunch break the next day, Celestine found herself alone at their usual spot, Avi and Sally are both absent for the day. As she sat quietly, picking at her food, she felt a wave of loneliness wash over her. She glanced around the bustling cafeteria, longing for the familiar company of her friends.

Just as she was lost in her thoughts, Nathan approached her, a friendly smile on his face. “Hey, mind if I join you?” he asked, gesturing to the empty seat beside her.

Surprised but pleased by the unexpected company, Celestine nodded eagerly. “Of course, okay lang, mag-isa lang naman ako,” she replied, scooting over to make place for him.

As they ate, Nathan struck up a conversation, asking Celestine about herself and sharing bits of his own life in return. To Celestine’s surprise, they seemed to have a lot in common, from their favorite hobbies to their taste in music.

“So, what do you like to do for fun?” Nathan asked, his eyes lighting up with genuine interest.

Celestine smiled, feeling a sense of warmth at his eagerness to get to know her. “Well, I love dancing,” she replied, her voice filled with enthusiasm. “I’m actually part of a dance troupe here at school. What about you?”

Nathan’s smile widened. “That’s awesome! I’ve always been into music,” he said. “I play the guitar and write songs in my free time.”

Their conversation flowed effortlessly, and before they knew it, lunch break was over. As they parted ways, Celestine couldn’t resist the feeling of excitement that bubbled within her.

After a tiring day, the class was finally over. Later that evening, Celestine found herself eagerly checking her phone for messages from Nathan. Sure enough, there was a new message waiting for her, and as they chatted late into the night, Celestine couldn’t help but feel like she had found a kindred spirit in Nathan. Their conversations ranged from their favorite hobbies to their dreams for the future, each message bringing them closer together. They shared anecdotes from their past, exchanged jokes, and even discussed their favorite movies and books. Celestine felt like she had known Nathan for much longer than just a day, and she couldn’t wait to see what the future held for their budding friendship.

At the peak of their lively conversation, Celestine felt a bit of excitement as she decided to message Nathan. “Hey, Nathan! It was nice talking to you. Do you mind if I take a quick bath? I’ll be back soon!”

With a sense of anticipation, Celestine headed to the bathroom, the warmth of the water washing away the day’s worries. However, in her haste, she forgot to put back the ring on her finger. As she stepped out of the bath feeling refreshed, she reached for her phone to check for Nathan’s reply.

To her surprise, there was no response from Nathan. Frowning slightly, Celestine tried to ignore off the feeling of disappointment. “Maybe he fell asleep,” she reasoned to reassure herself.