Chapter II

The Man

The world stopped between the two. Cel became interested in this man. She fell for him at first sight. It’s like she already knew that he was the one for her.

“I’m so sorry, did I hurt you?” Cel asked.

“No, it’s fine. I’m okay.”

“You don’t look familiar to me, do you live around here?” Cel inquired.

“Kakalipat ko lang kahapon. By the way, I’m Nathan,” he said, offering his hand for a handshake.

“I’m Celestine, but you can call me Cel,” she answered.

The two of them left the store together while talking. They seemed to have developed a connection with each other. While going home, they eventually parted ways.

Celestine went home with a smile on her face, thinking about the guy at the thrift store.

Celestine’s POV

I was lying on my bed scrolling through my phone when suddenly I received a text message from a friend.

I opened the text message eagerly, “I saw you earlier at the thrift store, who’s that guy you were with?” I was relieved when I saw the name above.

It was just my friend, Sally. She’s very curious and always has a sharp eye. She’s what they call the gossip of our class.

“Nahh, I just met him earlier. Hindi ko nga ‘yun kilala,” I replied.

“Ikaw ha, kilala kita, you’re my friend, I know you inside out. You like him, am I right?”

I didn’t have the guts to answer her question, so I just sent her a laughing emoji as a reply.

As evening descended, Celestine prepared to unwind for the night, she decided to take a relaxing bath before bed.

Standing in front of the bathroom mirror, Celestine looked at her reflection, the ring glinting in the soft light. Despite the comforting warmth it had bestowed upon her earlier, she couldn’t resist the feeling of unease that lingered within her. Her thoughts involuntarily drifted back to the man she had collided with at the store, his presence occupying her mind alongside the mysterious allure of the ring.

With a sigh, she made up her mind to remove the ring before getting into the bath. Gently, Celestine slid the ring off her finger, feeling a sense of relief wash over her as she placed it on the bathroom counter. As she stepped into the warm embrace of the bathwater, she closed her eyes, letting the soothing sensations wash away the tension of the day, yet the memory of the man and the ring lingered in the corners of her mind.