Chapt. 37 ~ To Take Back What Was Lost

Start from the beginning

"Maeve," Undertaker placed his hand on her head, causing her to stop in her sentence and flinch ever so slightly. "No need for further explanations. You did very well. Never apologize for their vile desires... Now, look up at me." He frowned while moving some of her hair away from her face and tucking it behind her ear. Mute did as he requested, lifting her head up to meet his eyes once more. 

Whatever black markings that were on her face were no longer visible, and her eyes had returned to her natural gray ones. Undertaker smiled at her now calm appearance before taking off his black tailcoat and wrapping it around her shoulders. Mute's lower lip quivered before lunging into Undertaker's arms. The two stayed where they were for a while until Mute had calmed herself down from crying. Undertaker kept his arms wrapped protectively around her with his eyes closed with patience. 

"Any better?" He questioned, slightly pulling away from the embrace. Mute nodded her head with closed eyes. 

"Why haven't you reaped my soul yet?..." She suddenly asked. Mute pulled herself away enough to look up at the Reaper. Undertaker was quite taken aback with this question but knew he couldn't avoid it. After all, he did see her records back in the Chapel. 

"Because your time is not here yet. Despite your new form, you still have much to do." Undertaker smirked. 

"It's not fair... I never wanted to become for this way. Not some creature with black wings with a corrupted form. Not a creature with enchanting songs... I never asked to be this way." Mute frowned. 

"But you wanted to take your life back." He stated, his expression now unreadable. "You want what was stolen from you, no matter what the cost would be. No matter who you had to take out." He stated again, recalling a certain memory. 

"They gave me no choice!" She clenched Undertaker's clothing. Her teeth baring already sharp and her pupils slit with fiery. 

"Precisely." He smirked again. Mute caught onto by what he meant before sighing to herself. She recalls her own memories better than anybody else. "Your soul is not yet ready to be on the list for harvesting, my dear. You have a purpose with this new form. All you need to do is learn how to use it. And you already know how, don't you?" He cupped her cheek while drawing his face closer. 

"Hmmm..." She hummed before sighing again. "Let's be honest for a moment... You know everything there is to know about me. You have helped me more than one occasion. Why are you the only one not after me like the others?" 

"I think the more appropriate question is, why am I always around?" The two of stand, his arm remains wrapped around the woman's waist. "And the answer is, because you are a soul worth looking after." Behind every word is a deep meaning that only she could understand. "I will not have such a unique soul be tainted again by mindless creatures. Your soul may have been tainted before, but it remains true with a deep, alternative passion." Again, his words spoke with deep meaning. 

"You saw my memories back in that Chapel... You didn't need the records to see what I was like before. With your kind, you're able to see it as if it were a movie." Mute stated. "I've read, studied and practiced the miracles of this world when I was human... Who knew all it took was desperation to alternate the soul. But nobody told me what I would become once the deed was done." Another image flashed in her head.